Anti rocking device !!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by music, Jul 8, 2010.

1. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Recently i lost my 4 year old Apple Tree due to strong winds breaking the cable ties from the 2x2 wooden support and the tree being top heavy with fruit broke at the graft and collapsed
    onto the grass . i have 2 more trees 1 apple and 1 pear so i was not wanting the same fate to happen to them. the winds up here in Central Scotland have been with us for some time now.
    i was out in the garden yesterday watching the 2 remaining trees getting buffeted about i had a wee think "what could i do to improve the stability of the trees against these winds.
    this is what i did. i drove 2 wooden stakes into the ground, 1 each side of the existing 2x2
    support about 17 ins apart. they were put into the ground with about 9 ins showing on ground level. i inserted a cross spar between the existing 2x2 and the tree and using large screws fixed the cross spar onto the 2 new supports and the existing 2x2. this stopped the rocking
    movement of the support and tree. previously i had strong west winds battering the trees and the rocking movement north/south. it has worked a treat (THEY ARE NOT ROCKING TONIGHT)
    with only 9 inch showing at grass level the are not an eyesore ,a little touch of green paint and they blend in with the grass. hope this can be useful to some people who live in the some inclement weather conditions as we have in Scotland sometime. music.

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Anti-Rocking Device?

Mantovani.