Antirrhinum wilt

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by ViewAhead, May 28, 2024.

1. ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
    Ratings:
    +3,503
    I had (:frown:) a lovely, self-seeded antirrhinum. It suddenly developed acute wilt, which watering did not help. I took it out and, cutting the stems, noticed these were hard and woody. Anyway, it had some lovely flowers in a two-tone citrus lemon, so I cut these off on short stems and popped them in a vase, expecting them to only last a day or so. However, 10 days on, they are thriving, with all the closed top buds popping open ... and ... they have started to grow roots. :yes:

Now, my question is, if they develop enough roots, is it worth potting them up or will they automatically have the cause of the wilt within their system that is just not showing yet? :scratch:

2. AnniD

AnniD Gardener

Ratings:
    +512
    Personally, I would pot them up and see what happens. I hope to goodness my plants don't get it. I've got over 100 to plant out in a week or so's time.

I'd never heard of it being a "thing", I always thought it was down to under/over watering ?

• Like Like x 1
    • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
      Ratings:
      +3,503
      Apparently there is some sort of disease which means the plants can't take up water as the stems get blocked. The plant looks fine and flourishing ... and then suddenly it just wilts.

• Informative Informative x 3