Ants, friend or foe?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Chrysocolla, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Chrysocolla

Chrysocolla Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have discovered that I have a large ant colony living in a raised bed with a really beautiful acer.

Will they do any harm to the tree? I don't want to launch an attack if they aren't a causing damage.

2. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I have ants in my garden and ants trying to move in and live with me as well.:)

So far, I have not noticed an damage to plants in the garden from them but there again I might have friendly ants.:)

I talk to mine !! usually to tell them to go live in the garden and not try to invade my house and I promise them food if they agree to get out of my house. Seems to work.:cool:

3. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I donĀ“t think ants as such do any harm to plants (except perhaps south american leaf cutter ants, but I doubt you have those in your raised bed). But they often herd and papmper and protect aphid colonies, even helping them to get established. So be especially careful to keep both your eyes open for aphids.

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,463
    Do you mean these, Ivory? ;) :)

I took some photos of them last year and they didn't seem the least camera shy :)

[​IMG]

I agree with Ivory. Generally ants are no problem in the garden (unless they run up your legs :eek: :D) but they do harvest the honeydew exuded from the aphids, so they tend and look after them. You can rub the blackfly off the plants or hose them or spray them with a dilute soapy mixture :thumb:. Or you can use an insecticide. I try never to use insecticides but it is a matter of choice.

The ants, in them selves, are not a problem.

5. Chrysocolla

Chrysocolla Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Fortunately, my ants aren't that big! I might think twice about allowing them to stay if they were. I do actually quite admire them, so if they aren't going to harm my acer, I shall leave them be. Fortunately, I feed the birds all year round and my garden is alive with them. They repay me by keeping an eye on the aphids for me. Can't do any harm to have quiet chat to the ants though. Thanks.

6. matt22

matt22 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My chickens like them in the garden not only do they eat them they also bath in the nest by scrapping the top off and then just lie down and let the ant crawl over them so for the chickens its a win win situation:D

7. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    If you have ants on your plants, (im a poet) it usually means GREENFLY, The ants are attracted to the sweet sticky substance secreted by the little gits..So get rid of them before they do the damage...Dee.

8. PRodgers

PRodgers Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, as the others have said I think ants aren't generally a problem directly, but their aphid farming habits are obviously something to keep a look out for.
    I tend to leave them myself, unless they start getting into the house.