Ants nesting under rose

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Nickoslesteros, Jul 15, 2024.

1. Nickoslesteros

Nickoslesteros Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    One of my strongest roses is planted in a half barrel. I've noticed heaps of soil stacked on the lower branches of the rose, and what appears to be ants digging and nesting directly where the main canes emerge from the ground.

Are they harmless, or is it something I may need to address? I try to work with nature, but wondering if I'll need to take some action for the same of the rose.

As always, any opinions gratefully received

2. lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,070
    Keep the soil damp Nickoslesteros Ants prefer dry soil so they may well move on.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    They dont actually attack the plant but they can loosen the soil around the roots and the plant dies of drought.
    Just keep an eye on it, if it starts to look limp I'd use an insecticide as a drench around the root area.

4. Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,053
    That happened to my American Pillar rose when it was only a year old. Ants had already killed a rhubarb plant and a shrub so I took a risk and sprinkled ant powder all around the bottom of the rose and it worked. Keeping the soil damp hadn't worked at all.

5. Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,685
    Definitely do something. Ant powder is pretty useless, you have to re-apply after rain. I used to use Nippon Liquid which worked well but haven't seen it for sale for years. Keeping the soil really wet for a couple of weeks might work. I suspect there are so many visible ants nests this year because the winter was so wet. They have moved up a level to build their nests, in the past I have also lost large plants to ants nests under them.
    You really shouldn't encourage me Lizzie re. reading. But I love you anyways!

6. Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,338
    Ants are there because it's dry so maybe give it a saucer and make sure the compost in your pot is always moist but not sodden so the roots have the moisture they need but do not rot.

If I find ants in pots I give them a thorough soaking and if they don't take the hint and leave I'll re-pot after dunking the rootball in a bucket of water. If re-potting is not possible I give them failsafe drink of 5 litres of water mixed with one bottle of essential oil of cloves. The ants don't like the smell and move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • waterbut

waterbut Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +153
      My iron monger sells Nippon spray bottles but you could always drain the liquid out if you need to use it that way.

• Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,338
      We have green woodpeckers that visit to eat ants and so do sparrows, tits, pigeons and robins that are resident so I don't use any poisons. Adequate watering of pots and, if needed, the oil of cloves works for me and hurts nothing.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2024