Any camera recommendations?

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by RachelN76, Apr 19, 2011.

1. RachelN76

RachelN76 Gardener

Midwife
    Ratings:
    +15
    Today, I broke our camera! Ooops.
    At a garden centre no less! the children were in a little play area, I went to take a photo, and somehow (not entirely sure how I managed it) the camera slipped and went over my shoulder and plummeted onto a concrete floor.

i have dropped it a few times before, but this time, it was fatal. The lens bit that goes in and out is sort of bent, and no longer goes in and out, and it just won't work.

It wasn't a very expensive one (because we're quite a clumsy family :loll:), so definitely not worth repairing.

I know there are some really good photographers on here, and I wondered if you had any recommendations for a basic but decent point and click type camera without too many fancy functions. Under £100 if possible. The one I just broke was a Fuji, and I was happy enough with it.

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Hi RachelN76 I would recommend this one as a personal choice.:)

1. Fujifilm FinePix AV250/£89/or there abouts its got some good reviews:)

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Hehehe .. .WOO you are a bit short on Second and Third choices :heehee:

I hope to break mine every few years. Technology improves and I rather enjoy replacing my camera with something more capable than the last model, but I come from having had a pucker camera back in the days of film, and have been "happy" with digital camers for 5 years or more, and am now very satisfied with them. I have not found the need to go back to the change-a-lens and lug-over-your-shoulder cameras of my film-years (although undeniably their digital cousins are excellent)

My target price is a bit more than yours, so I'm no help in advising you, but I do think that the ease-of-use of the PC software that comes with them makes a difference.

My Cannons', for the last three generations of Dropped and Failed :thumb: cameras, have had superb software.

I particularly like:

Photographs uploaded to individual folders named yyyy-mm-dd - it makes it very easy to locate a particular event. (I rename the folders from "yyyy-mm-dd" to "yyyy-mm-dd-FredsWedding" keeping the chronological order by the "yyyy-mm-dd" prefix, but making it easier to find the folder when I only have a vague recollection of the date)

Mind you ... there are a lot of folders called "yyyy-mm-dd-Garden" which doesn't narrow it down much!

When I connect my Cannon to the PC it pops up with the download software which offers "Download all new pictures since last time" and "Manually download pictures". So I click on the first one and a bunch of new "yyyy-mm-dd" folders are created.

The Cannons do all sorts of "Cannon can", as per the adverts, but the other feature I particularly like is the panoramic feature. Select panoramic mode, the viewfinder shows you 50% of the previous shot, so you can line the next frame up easily, and the software makes it easy to stitch the frames back together again. I find this very useful - often trying to squeeze a view in doesn't work well - even of my garden - and I choose to use panorama instead to get an overall better quality photo.

Other than that:

Personally I prefer a viewfinder to just an LCD preview-panel on the back - much easier to use in strong sunlight.

My camera has a rotatable LCD panel - this is great if I want to hold the camera above the heads of the crowd - tilt the LCD pre-viewer so I can see it and lift the camera up. Sometime I take movies of myself doing something, tilting the pre-viewer so it can be seen from in FRONT of the camera enables me to make sure that the key object being video'd is in-frame.

My camera takes standard rechargeable AA batteries - and I still have, and use, the first set I bought at the same time as the camera 3 or 4 years ago. If they run flat I can always buy some AA's at a newsagent - rather than being photo-less - whcih might be the case if the battery was proprietary.

Good, independent, camera reviews here Digital Camera Product Reviews: Digital Photography Review

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    What camera would you like to recommend Kristen ? Thinking about getting a new one myself.
    Any chance of getting some shots taken with the special features.

5. RachelN76

RachelN76 Gardener

Midwife
    Ratings:
    +15
    There's too much choice!
    I've decided on either Fuji or Canon, based on these posts, but that still gives me about a hundred cameras to choose from.

I also can't decide whether to get something really cheap and cheerful, around the £60-80 mark. Or push the boat out a bit and go to say £150. But like i said, I'm quite clumsy and this wouldn't be the first camera i've destroyed. Don't want to kill £150 worth of camera in a couple of weeks. but neither do I want to pay £60 and it be a total waste of money because it's too slow or otherwise not good enough.

Sigh. i'm not good with decisions!

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I haven't bought a new camera for several years, so I don't know what specifically is available at the moment.

Each generation that I have bought I have tended towards more sophisticated, but slightly larger, cameras. Originally they would fit in my pocket, now I'd need poacher's pockets!

So I'm not sure that's much help to anyone else.

But I do like a nice quality photograph, so my preference is towards better quality lenses and so on, but without it needing a handful of Sherpas to carry ...

I'll try to take a panoramic picture tomorrow, and a single shot, by way of comparison.

7. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Hi Kristen well its like a mine field out there for anyone thinking of buying a new camera,so I decided not to make it to complicated,I have tested and used over 200 digital SLR and point and shoot cameras over the last 3 years for a local magazine and other sources,most point and shoot cameras even the low priced one,s have all the lights and bells now,some still use AA batteries,some lithium Batteries,most have the panoramic features,I could continue typing all night as one of my favourite hobbies(apart from Roses):WINK1: is reviewing Camera,s,I could have filled page after page of technical details ,specifications,etc,but decided not to for the moment,and I will only comment on Camera,s that I have used for tests:WINK1:
    I have at the moment The Nikon D5000,Nikon D3000,Panasonic TZ10,Cannon A590 and of course my absolutely out of this world,my Panasonic FZ45,I have on test the new waterproof Panasonic FT2 :phew::) I just love all camera,s :dbgrtmb::)

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Ah, you've made me remember some other features that I like WOO.

I have some sort of image stability gizmo. I can zoom in, in poor quality light conditions, and still hand-hold the picture without it being blurred. No idea how they do that!

And that also leads to the zoom distance. My Canon has a 12x zoom, which saves me from having to have a replacement-lens SLR camera. The replacement that I might get tomorrow, if I changed, has a 35x zoom lens - amazing! (That's the optical range, using the digital range is just , to my pea-sized brain, incomprehensible.)

9. RachelN76

RachelN76 Gardener

Midwife
    Ratings:
    +15
    I chose one. Decided on Canon, then just had to choose between Powershot and Ixus. Ixus had some nice features, but you also seemed to be paying for the HD video capability, which I know we wouldn't use.

So, I went for a Canon Powershot A3200.

I started reading reviews last night, and that just confused me even more - some people loved certain ones, other people said they were rubbish.

But thank you for helping me to narrow it down! I've gone for one day delivery, so I'm hoping it will be here tomorrow.

I do love some of the fancier more expensive cameras, but neither me nor my husband can really take decent photos, we're not remotely artistic (and we're clumsy!), so a fairly basic model seems to be the best option for us. And after all, todays basic models are worlds apart from when we first got a digital camera many years ago!

10. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Good morning Rachel an excellent choice :dbgrtmb:,looking forward to seeing some photos:)

11. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Blinking Heck! 8 x Ixus and 15 x PowerShot models ... no idea how anyone can decide. Pointless marketing consumerism :(

12. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Good afternoon Kristen, but you can have them any colour you want:rofl::)

13. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I know this only too well as my daughter's camera died several days before she went on her last DofE trip and I had to come up with a shortlist in about 36hrs and then get next day delivery. And you don't need to look around very hard to find a bad review for every single camera.

So I found something new with no reviews yet!

14. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Is there a "Be the first to write a bad review on this camera" option on the site you bought it from then? :heehee:

15. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Hi everyone, the problem is that the USA usually get these new cameras months before the UK ever sees them that's why it very useful to to read the global reviews:dbgrtmb::scratch: