any Decking experts??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by issy, Aug 21, 2005.

1. issy

issy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    For my sanity I need to get some way of obtaining privacy so that I acn go onto decking a. and not be seen and b. not have to chat every time I do go out!!
    Rescue me!!!

Is there some sort of tall wind-break thing that'll fit onto a decking or a retractable thing rather than adding to decking which will give a lot of shade in afternoons onwards.

Also - how to get privacy onto the gate area as it's opposite neighbour's gate and so nothign can grow to give privacy... not that it'd do much good me hiding cos neighbour will open gate to say ehllo if I'm on the decking!! :mad:

[​IMG]

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I think a couple od strategically placed bamboos in pots [​IMG]

3. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    We have a similar problem as our back door is within about 6 feet of our neighbour's door although this includes a passageway. I'm afraid we have resorted to a 6ft wooden fence and some privet hedge, but then we are on the right side to enjoy the sunshine. :cool:

[ 21. August 2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: jjordie ]

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I would go with Steve's idea of some large container grown bamboo, it will provide screening and a lovely sound, or indeed consider a living willow windbreak - the question that I would like an answer too is why is there a gate, is there communal access to something.

But please try and keep communicating with your neighbour - yes there are times you want to be left alone and let her/him know that, but believe me tis better that you get on - than not. Bin there, done that, got the t-shirt [​IMG]

5. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Fran I agree, but it is not our choice, our neighbour says she doesn't like US looking into her garden, so nuff said. I would much rather do as you say and keep communicating but anything for a quiet life! :(

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    If it was your neighbours wishes Jjordie, then thats fine - what a good neighbour you are - a fence is not the most attractive barrier until it is clothed with plants [​IMG]

7. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Might be an idea to put the large potted bamboo (or what ever plant you choose) onto a small wheeled trolley thingie, otherwise you'll be heading for hernia city from dragging it/them back & forth from the gate, & to allow the sun to get through! not to mention the damage it would do to your deck! (Bamboos need BIG pots!!) :eek: You could try for a taller gate - 5ft is not too tall. I wouldn't put trellis on your style of fence unless you go for something comtemporary, I've used wire mesh in a timber batten frame - the grade (size of hole) is up to you, but a really fine one would look good, allow some privacy, & not block the light too much. I have made a bin store that was just a hinged screen with the same materials, it was attached to a garden wall, & could be retracted, the bin moved out when more space was required. If you are going to plant a living screen, such as willow, you may need to cutout part of the deck next to the fence,excavate & improve the soil as willow won't grow as well in a container - needs loads of moisture & nutrient rich soil. - You could also plant your bamboos in this way, though depending on which sort you choose, this will be more shady. Hope this helps.

[ 24. August 2005, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Bayleaf ]

8. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    hi issy, i have a privet hedge, total privacy. the fast option is a timber panel fence with posts [ concrete for longevity] you would need some help to put it up. you could make it nice at your leasure.