Any edible stuff I can plant in containers?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by coucou, Jul 28, 2008.

1. coucou

coucou Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Decided to have a go at growing some produce we can eat, but don't want to plant in my borders, so thought, hey I have space to buy some containers and plant in them. What can I plant at this time of year and what would grow best outdoors ( no greenhouse sadly ) at this time of year?

I really don't have a clue as I have never grown edibles before :rolleyes:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jane x

2. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    you could still get away with planting cut and come again salad leaves, they always do well in containers. I'm struggling to think of other stuff you can plant now, Winter greens maybe?? Will look through my veg book for you!

3. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    late summer sowings inc:- quick growing beetroot,french beans,kohl rabi,radishes,turnips,new potatoes for autumn and next years spring cabbages,leaf beet and spring onions. according to carol klein anyway!

I would suggest going to the GC, looking at the backs of seed packets on the things you fancy growing and seeing what the planting times on the back say. remember they are a rough guide, you could always try something you really fancy if it is a month out! ( just don't tell the seeds when you plant them! ;-) )

As for planting in containers, I think most things will be ok, gardeners world seem to do ok in their container veg patch. just remember to put the seeds in pots that will suit, ie don't plant carrots in a 4" deep pot, and also that pots will dry out quicker than the borders so will need more watering

4. coucou

coucou Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Glen much appreciated :thumb:

Jane x