Any Electric Hedge Trimmer Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Shaun, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Shaun

Shaun Gardener

Ratings:
    +23
    I have a very tall leylandii so I need a hedge trimmer with a long blade that can cope with shoots up to 20mm in diameter.

My preference at the moment is for the Flymo EasiCut 600XT.

Any recommendations would be appreciated - thanks.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :scratch: Well I know you are asking for electric, but we have a Stihl HS45 Petrol trimmer with a 24" bar for the big hedge when we climb the ladders for safety & my favourite of the 2 & a Ryobi RPT400 electric pole trimmer for the small hedge... They are both excellent although the Ryobi is a tad heavier I think... I wouldn't be without either..... :thumb:

3. Shaun

Shaun Gardener

Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks MF

Your post set me thinking.

Looking around it seems many electric trimmers struggle with thick leylandii hedges and so I think a good petrol trimmer makes a lot of sense.

I looked at the Stihl trimmers and they look expensive, but they do seem to get good reviews. Also, since I have a very tall hedge I quite like the look of the long reach trimmers. I know the petrol trimmers tend to weigh more, but because the actual engine is at the base of the shaft then I guess its easier to maneuver than an electric pole trimmer where the weight is on the end of the pole.

A couple of questions (if I may) on the Stihl petrol trimmers:
    1) How difficult are they to maintain?
    2) Apart from the petrol, what are the other running costs?
    3) Some websites indicate that Stihl have a policy where only existing Stihl customers can buy their products off the internet. Any idea what that is all about?

Many thanks for your help here.

4. Iceni

Iceni Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Bosch have a new 36v battery machine out that has new technology.

When the blades hit a large branch that is too big to cut first time it senses its has stopped and reverses.

I know hedgecutter blades go back and forth but not until they reach the end if their stroke.

This one reverses the motor so it has a second go, if no luck it tries again. this happens for a about 3 secs (quite a few tries) then stops so not as to burn the motor out.

However you can then try again, it will cut 20mm branches better than any other hedgecutter, electric, petrol or otherwise.

This technology is patented so no other hedge cutter has it.

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Sorry Shaun missed your post....
    O~K..
    1.Stihls are not difficult to maintain as long as you have the basic know how.. (not difficult to read up on) Or of course there are always service dealerships...

2. Oil & sharpening of blades that I know of..

3. I think it is just where some sites want to tie you in for servicing as well.. We buy ours from a dealer, or off of contacts in the trade & have never had any problems for parts or service.. :scratch: So find out your local dealer & see what price he has on new & reconditioned if you like.. We do have a local dealer we give our equipment too if we cannot sort it but not tied to specific machines just any of our Stihl equipment, but it is very trouble free in our experience...

For your type of hedge they would be perfect I would say, but that is just me..
    Hope that helps..:thumb:

6. Shaun

Shaun Gardener

Ratings:
    +23
    In the end I went for a Stihl with hedge trimmer and pole pruner attachments.
    Very happy indeed :-) although with the shaft extension it can be a bit heavy to maneuver.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2