any free photgraphy software that`s good for the novice?

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by lollipop, Feb 25, 2009.

1. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Does anyone know of any free software that would be easily understood by someone who hitherto has just pointed the lens at something and clicked-that`s as much as I have learned.

It has to be idiot friendly.

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,092
    Hi, Claire

I did a lot of searching some time back and found this one which I find fairly simple to use ....

http://www.picnik.com/

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
  4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks Guys-thought I would have a play.

5. benacre

benacre Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Paint shop pro by corel is not free but is a basic good programme £50 online.
    CJ.

6. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Picnik is really FUN, but it can only be used online, that sometimes is a PITA.
    Paint.net and Photoscape can be downloaded gratis and are pretty good albeit less glamourous. Paint.net is slightly less intuitive than the other two, and it is a bit slow sometimes, but it's pretty easy to get to use it,and has some really nice tools and lots of free plug-ins to make even more things. These may or may not crash your system (huzzay!) depending on what processor you have. Lunapic is another online editor that is funny to use for playful things but it is not, in my opinion at the same level as the others. Photobucket has also an online editing thingy, which is free, but I did not use it much.

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I`ve tried the ones Victoria and Marley suggested, thanks guys, I will try those you suggest now Ivory.

Benacre, thanks for the offer-very trusting of you, but it`s best if I don`t borrow things of worth-I have a full house of rambunctious inhabitants

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Not sure it qualifies as "photo software" (in fact I'm not sure what sort of things photographers do with software these days; I've got a copy of Photoshop but I use so little of it that I can't begin to imagine what the rest does!)

Anyway, the thing I use for resizing, adjust colours, sharpen, red eye ... etc. is

http://www.irfanview.net/

9. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    I use irfanview as well, plus picasa to organise all my photos.

With Picasa its is very easy to create a web page with your selected photos.

10. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Claire, editing is a lot of fun, but do not bother with the instructions for use! Just take a little time to fool aound aimlessly,the trial and error sistem is the easiest, and you can always undo, or close a pic without saving and start from the beginning! ;)

11. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I can`t claim to have ever read instructions on anything to do with pcs-hardware or software, so I will most certainly be using that approach Ivory,

Thanks all for the very useful replies.

Much appreciated.

12. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    lol, that's my british twin allright! :D

13. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    If you want a really good, free application, go for The Gimp. It is very comprehensive and runs the "Professional" applications close. Why buy expensive software when you can get a very good one for FREE?

14. Cyril

Cyril Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm the same but when i see cameras for sale thye all seem to use a point and shoot one more than their bigger more expensive ones:lollol: