Any ideasfor this area of the garden

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Ceb, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Ceb

Ceb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Very shaded area at the back of our garden. Really struggling with what we can do with it. Any ideas welcome.

Attached Files:

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Hiya Ceb :)
    Firstly, I guess its dry shade there?
    Makes a big difference if its moist soil there or dry as to what plants to recommend

3. Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Shady wildflower mix. Low maintenance, looks good and great for wildlife.

4. Ceb

Ceb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes it is pretty dry.

I like the idea of a wild flower area. Would be nice to encourage bees & butterflies.

5. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,559
    It looks like the soil level has been raised. That could be why it's dry.

If that's the case, how about levelling it down to it's natural level and see how dry it actually is? If not too dry, a woodland corner might be fab, ferns, foxgloves, wood anemones and maybe even a small pond?

The fencing could do with some hiding, ivy will grow everywhere and evergreen honeysuckles are lovely although tend to grow top heavy and leaving the lower parts bare.

6. Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    My first thought for your shaded area would be a peaceful place to sit - perfect for hot days like we have at the moment. A seat with an arbour over would be good. The next thing is perfume which is a must for when you`re just sitting.... a nice old fashioned honeysuckle ''Halliana'' is good or ''Americana'' (one of my favourites)
    Lots of climbers enjoy shade. There are suitable Clematis and roses, and Parthenocissus Henryi would give colour in the autumn. A small leafed variegated ivy would be a good evergreen to add, and Hydrangea petiolaris would like climbing on the fence too - add some trellis.
    The rocks you have could be a brilliant addition to a pond there to attract some wildlife - shade is ideal for that job.
    Hardy fuchsias like shade ... the list goes on
    It would be worth adding some good organic muck to the soil before planting.

A lovely spot to work on in a heatwave :)