any one got a hoya

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by kernowdreamer, Feb 12, 2012.

1. kernowdreamer

kernowdreamer Gardener

x staff nurse.
    Ratings:
    +26
    When My birthday comes around I'm always asked what I would like, I want to say ,here's a list ,go for it but having been brought up proper ,as my mum would put it, I just smile and say I would be pleased with any thing.Well this year I'm asking ,its a plant I want, a hoya. If I get it I want to give it a long life and from what I have been reading it doesn't seem that difficult to care for, course I could be very wrong on that point. Any growing tips ,any one grow them. I have sorted the place I want to order it from which is a certified nurserie.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I've hankered after one of them for ages too ... (Hoya carnosa that is, there's a poncy pink one too I think ?) Every time I see one its a bit more money than my miserly wallet wants to spend!

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,099
    I've grown bella as a house plant and carnosa in the greenhouse.

Both appear to like shade, carnosa takes lower temperatures than bella, but neither grow if temperatures drop below 0 C.

Other than that there are some really good looking ones with strange flowers.:dbgrtmb:

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Are they vigorous Pete? Clamber up a 4' obelisk from a large container? or are they more like my Stephanotis which is in about a 6" pot and has a couple of 24" wire circles that it races round to make a nice ball.

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,099
    Well carnosa is not vigorous, in our climate, but grows slowly into a nice dark green leaved plant.
    I've not found it to be a real climber, it tends to just use other plants or whatever for support.

The interesting fact is the flowers form in the same stalk each year, so you dont remove the flowering stalks once the flowers die. The flowers do have a nice scent.
    But drop nectar, so can be sticky.

If you want a cutting PM me.

• Like Like x 1
    • davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
      +257
      I have a couple of Hoya carnosa .I have them on greenhouse high shelf and they trail down . Mine took a while to get sizable but as Pete says once they flower try not to remove old flower stalks .Mine are very pot bound but seem to accept that . I water occassionly and give feed through the summer ...Not been successful with Hoya bella..

Dave

• Like Like x 2
      • kernowdreamer

kernowdreamer Gardener

x staff nurse.
        Ratings:
        +26
        I didn't know about the flower stalks, I'm glad you mentioned that,thanks. Its the Odorata I want,not so much for the flower ,rather the perfume. Looking on the net I see the flower is quite dainty and simple. I'm wondering if orchid food is a good feed for hoyas,what do you feed yours.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +122,480
        We have a number of hoyas on the kitchen windowsill. I'll ask Mrs Shiney whether any of them are carnosa (which I think is white) and we definitely have a pink one. If you're coming down for Open Day I'll see whether Mrs S can get cuttings potted up. :thumbsup:

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,126
        I don't have one but a friend of mine did in his conservatory for many years.. A Hoya padangensis.. It took a couple of years to establish itself in there before it flowered, but once it started it was fantastic & the scent was out of this world, which was why he grew that one.. His conservatory was very big & heated all the time as it was used as part of the house & in use constantly so it was plumbed to his heating system..
        I don't remember too much of what he fed it on etc but I do remember him saying that it was a very forgiving plant & that it could put up with being a little on the dry side. You can place it in just about any direction, but it needs to be shaded from strong direct sun if south facing or the leaves will burn... Let us know what you get then.. :sunny:

• Like Like x 1
        • kernowdreamer

kernowdreamer Gardener

x staff nurse.
          Ratings:
          +26
          Exactly,that's why I want the Odorata, the perfume. I had a look at the one your talking about ,very pretty flower ,tinged pink at the tips,looks almost edible like sugared flowers on cakes,always have to nibble around them and save the flowers,kind of silly . I do the same with icing flowers as well, omg I'm a icing flower hoarder . Seriously , any one got a tip on hoya feed.

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
          Ratings:
          +55,189
          I have a Hoya bella which blooms profusely in an unheated outdoor living room. It is about 1 meter long and has as many as 100 bloom clusters on it. I don't feed it anything ...

[​IMG]

It's having a rest at the moment and not liking our temps going down to 2c at night. :cry3:

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +92,099

I feed very little, and being succulent, they like to be dryish.

I'm thinking if you overfeed you might just get lots of leafy growth at the expense of flowers.
            Not grown odorata so cant help exactly, but I'm sure most species like similar conditions.

• Like Like x 1
            • kernowdreamer

kernowdreamer Gardener

x staff nurse.
              Ratings:
              +26
              beautiful

• Like Like x 1