Anybody know about Orchids?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by silu, Oct 17, 2017.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I know next to nothing about Orchids other than I think they like being pot bound and I'm expert at killing any I have ever been given as a present:rolleyespink:.......I don't really "do" house plants. My brother asked me a couple of questions re 1 he has and I don't know the answers. Can anyone suggest a link I could forward to him so he can learn a bit about how to look after his. I stick to outdoor stuff or veg in the greennhouse, that causes me enough :scratch::)

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,333
    What kind of Orchids?
    There are lots and often they like different conditions.

3. silu

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Oh gawd @pete I haven't a clue and I doubt my brother will know either. I expect it's just 1 you get from a supermarket type outlet it won't be anything smart. 1 question amoungst a few he has is I of the flower stems has finished flowering and starting to wilt, do you cut it off, I'd have thought yes. Another is he has it in his hallway near a window, his flat is quite warm so can it just live there? Presume to cut watering back to very little during the winter but that's a guess.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,333
    Phalaenopsis is probably the most common these days from supermarkets but there are others.
    Phalaenopsis (moth orchid)/RHS Gardening

They are fairly easy plants, just remember, dont overwater, good light, even sunshine in winter, and normal room temperatures, which makes them good house plants in general.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • silu

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Many thanks Pete, I have passed on the link to my Brother.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,184
        If your brother really wants to get into orchids then there is a very good 'orchidforum' if he wants to google.

In addition to Petes advice.

Keep them in an area that generally maintains an even temperature ideally a min of 15c , not one subject to drafts etc.

Keep out of strong direct sunlight or in a window that only gets early morning or late evening sun.

They can become pot bound, but generally shop bought ones can go for a year before thats needed.*

Watering, only use room temperature water and just pour it over the 'white' looking roots until they turn green, then leave to drain for 10 mins; they do not like to stand in water.
        Do not re-water until the roots start turning pale again, root rot from over watering is a big problem.

If the room feels very dy, you can always give the leaves/top of the roots a light spray with water, but avoid any getting on the buds or flowers as it will mark them.

Only use orchid fertiliser as they only need a very weak solution, lots of different ones in the shops.
        A simple one to use is the Vitax orchid feed, one for in bloom and one for growth , both around £3.

When the flowers have faded just cut off as low as possible.
        (some say you can cut half way down and that encourages as small spike, but never doe that)

* One thing he can be aware of is that some of the orchids, partic the mini ones appear to be planted in bark, but deeper inside the have an earlier core of tightly packed moss which helps retain moisture while in transit/shop, but in the home can be a cause of waterlogging, so repotting them and removing the moss is something I do.

• Informative Informative x 2
        • silu

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Many thanks @ricky101 I've passed on your info too. Now he is retired my Brother may well have the time to add another hobby to his already long list!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • hydrogardener

hydrogardener Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +4,731
            I am a member of the Northeastern New York Orchid Society. On our site we have a great resource for growing any type orchid.

Orchid Care & Culture

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1