Anybody knowledgeable on Camassia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Sep 11, 2012.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Hope someone can solve a puzzle or maybe it's my memory!. I was weeding a very neglected bed of Rhododenrons and while digging dug up some tubers. A bit like Day Lily types but the fingers are much longer and a very white colour. Thinking back I'm pretty certain I planted some Camassia in the spot but I thought they were bulbs when I planted them not tubers. The fingers are quite brittle and broke off quite a few which had what looked like something had grown from them. I've replanted the ones which look like they have a growing tip and am left with lots of fingers/tubers. Are what I've dug up Camassia or some alien beings! and if I replant the fingers will they grow without a growing point which I expect is doubtful. Hope this makes sense.Thanks.

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,070
    Camassia bulbs look like bulbs with a papery skin. Cc. leichlinnii and cuisickii have large bulbs up to 2 inches in diameter where as C. esculenta bulbs are only about half that size. They all look more like Daffodil bulbs than 'fingers'.

• Like Like x 1
    • Grannie Annie

Grannie Annie Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,631
      Silu - sounds as if you have dug up something else and not Camassia which is a bulb. Rethink what you may have planted there or any chance of a photo for ID?

• Like Like x 1
      • silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Just dug 1 up that I'd replanted.Hope someone can help. I'm really puzzled as when I dug them up they looked as tho a few of them had the spent flowering stalks like Camassia. They are definitely not Day Lilies and despite me wracking my brains I can't think of anything else I've ever planted in this bed other than Daffodils and Snowdrops. Photo looks a bit like an albino Spider..yuk!

Attached Files:

• Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
        Ratings:
        +3,344
      • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +55,139
      • silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Thanks both and bingo Victoria they definitely are Camassia Quamash. Well done and glad I hadn't gone completely bonkers. From reading about the plant I understand the tubers are edible...hmmm don't think I'll bother!Pity they aren't Eremurus. Tried growing those years ago and no success.

• Like Like x 1
        • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +3,070
          Well, well ,well. After growing Quamash for the last 20 years I can say I have never seen them produce underground growth like that. Mine definitely look like ordinary bulbs. Keep saying I will dig some up and try them roasted, but then they die down and I forget where they are and there are a lot of other bulbs in the area.