Anyone else as 'sad' as me?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fidgetsmum, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +866
    We all like a good crop from our 'edibles', but I was just wondering if I'm the only 'saddo' in the village? (as my family have taken to calling me :cry:). Y'see, there are many and varied pencil scribblings on the cupboard door above my kitchen scales where I meticulously weigh each 'harvest' of each veggie, write down the weight and then add up the various totals of each fruit/veg at the end of its cropping.

My family think I need 'help' - I maintain it's a scientific analysis of the cropping rate of different varieties (not to mention an excuse not to clean that particular cupboard door!!).

Is anyone else as sad?

2. theruralgardener

theruralgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +149
    Yes!! :lollol:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieparishruralgardener/3721576881/

This was part of my last years gooseberry crop from three bushes, (left on a bit longer than usual and getting slightly past it but still fine for gooseberry and orange jelly etc.)
    I don't write on kitchen cupboard doors - but what a quirky form of interior design and recording local history!
    If anybody peeked in my diary in the hopes of juicy gossip or philosophical insights...they would be more likely to come away knowing which hens laid best and how many apples I picked from which tree!!
    Sad? No, just content with the little things!

3. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    Personally, I'm a more chaotic gardener. I like to just play it by ear, wander round the plot seeing what's ready for my tea.

I did try, on Monty Don's advice, to keep a Gardening Diary, but gave up. It's difficult after a day's random pottering, snipping here and sowing there, to write down everything you've done.

I do know people, especially keen allotmenteers, who keep meticulous records though. Nowt wrong with that!

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,824
    No, you're not a saddo. :)

We have too much of the good croppers and too little of the poor ones to want to keep records (we can remember what varieties have been good).

Having said that, we also do trials of veggies and flowers and have to keep meticulous records of those. When sown, when planted out, what medium they are planted into, first show of flower, first cropping date, total number cropped, total weight cropped and when they finish.

Amongst the things we are trialling this year are white sweetcorn (we are instructed when to sow and how to plant them) and mini-courgettes to be grown in pots (we have to keep records of how many from each pot - numbering the pots - and total weight plus what size we must pick them at).

With the courgettes, each plant has grown no more than 18" wide and 18" high but have been good croppers :thumb:. They are also quite tasty - so seem to be successful. I guess the seeds are likely to be in the shops in a year or two.

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats interesting Shiney, how do you get to be a seed trialer ?

I used to trial fags, till they gave me some with no nicoteen in & I went cold turkey at work :usr:

It makes sense to keep a yield record, not that organised meself, but it could be used as a soil fertility indicator as well ( factoring in the weather of course)

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Just as "sad", I have always kept a diaryfor the garden, in which I write up my obs from month to month, although I haven't yet weighed anything............just give me time though lol.

Last note was yesterday in which I observed how stunning dark purple gladioli look amongst the fiery orange crocosmia and how I must get my hands on more lol.

7. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Not a detailed or organized as you lot, but I keep an old diary which I put details of wild food that I've foraged & also decent fish catches. By using the same diary over lots of years, i'm slowly building up a what to look for at that time of year book.

Things like rosehips, puffball mushrooms, samphire, sprats & things that roll off the back of the mobile shop van.

8. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    Not sad at all. I often wonder each year if my crop of runners or whatever was better than last years and deliberate ..at least you have a answer.

9. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,824
    ziggy, we are members of 'Which? Gardening' (consumer magazine) and they do lots of trials each year. Once a year, in the mag, they detail which veggies and flowers they are trialing and you fill in the form with the ones you want to do.

Mrs shiney usually fills in almost all of them. There are forms to fill in that you return to them at the end of the season. I think the best result we have had was three years ago with some butternut squash. Just over 100lb from four plants.

I have a lazier way of checking how things went each year. I take a lot of photos of the plants and file them on the computer under the month they were taken. So I can look back to last August to see how things were going compared to now.

10. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Fidgetsmum, no I don't weigh things now, but I do keep a notebook of planting dates, varieties and how well they did at the level of good, bad, awful.
    I also award prizes and keep a record of great performing plants.(My daughter doesn't know about that - so Sh!)
    And I take photographs of my vegetables. My daughter does know about that and thinks it's lunatic behaviour. But here's some of my veggies.
    View attachment 2615

View attachment 2616

View attachment 2617

View attachment 2618

11. Liz W

Liz W Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Love that chilli picture. Gorgeous!

12. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    Blimy!! What an organised lot you are. I just keep a check on what and where to rotate crops.
    John

13. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    You're NOT sad!

I've kept a gardening diary since September 1972 and can tell you, for instance, that I paid 28p for 12 King Alfred daff bulbs on that day.....

14. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Now, reading all this I am more determined then ever to keep a gardening diary.
    I have been keeping a journal for myself in the last 6 months so I don't think it is going to be too hard to move on to keeping gardening notes but most days it might just have things like...''looked out of the kitchen window at the garden.'' type of notes.
    Yet, it is a start and it can only get better.
    I'm off to get my gardening folder sorted out as soon as I get home.

I like the idea and will also let everyone know if I start to weight the produce.

Lining up all the bottles and jars and tins in my kitchen cupboard so all labels face front is normal for me!! :help:

15. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    That's why I do it Shobna, the garden can always be better so I make little notes about that-which plant looked good amongst that bedding, this bulb did well planted at such and such a depth and not at another etc etc.

It really just amounts to a drawer full of exercise books all with bits and pieces-little doodles, plans, ideas etc.