Anyone else grow Arisaema

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Banana Man, May 22, 2006.

1. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    The spring ones have finished but the summer ones are on their way. My god they smell bad.

They start off on the deck and then as they flower they go further and further down the garden as they get smellier and smellier!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes - look at April photo competition thread. Mine is just a common one, but I have just been to local nursery today and seen a superb one, it has the leaf liike a Trillium but beutiful picture jug flower, would have bought one but bulbs were �£14 - not that that put me off, its just Mr waco was with me!!!!!

[​IMG]

3. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    That is nice Waco!

Mine is a Arisaema sikokianum. They grow really slowly apparently. I was advised not to put it the ground until it was much more substantial.

I paid �£16.00 for a plant in a 3 litre pot, worth every penny. I was online so Mrs Banana Man was not present!

[​IMG]

Do you have any summer ones. I bought 2 Arisaema ciliatum at Beth Chattos and they are the stinky ones.

4. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I think this one is speciosum, was about �£3.50 may be less, it was bought as a bulb and I have to say developed very quickly. I chose this one as it was supposed to be one of the most hardy and it is my intention that it lives outside in my fern bed. There is a voodoo lilly going there too but it is altogether slower for some reason.

I am tempted to have a go with the one I was today, but I am not keen on that sort of stuff indoors, may be tempted, will try to remember to take a photo of it next week when I pass - see what you think.

5. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh forgot as to the Summer ones - I suppose if you buy them as bulbs it just depends on when you start them off as to when they flower.

6. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    All three are grown outdoors.

Arisaema sikokianum comes up in April/May and rides about a foot above the ground.

The Arisaema ciliatum, same pot as the sikokianum, come up in May/June. They are also much much taller at nearly a meter.

7. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    UM......the weather is a but unkinder up hear in North Yorks than it is in Essex, so I am not risking expensive bulbs for starters, I know books say they are hardy, but experience is always a different matter and we are in a real frost pocked. Its very useful to know that yours have actually survived outside though and does encourage me to take a chance.

8. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    As long as the pot soil isn't compacted to trap it and it doen't get too wet in the winter, has been fine.

9. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Waco - I'm exactly the same when Mr HB is in tow!!! ;) - and when it turns up a little later, its ALWAYS from the reduced shelf..... ;)

10. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    I do the same, price paid is usually halved in bedtime discussions about what has been purchased today on the internet!

11. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    LOL - as if they don't know!!!!!

12. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    I know. The best one is, " for my birthday I have bought mysef a..." this can be used at least a couple of months before and after that date!

13. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    That a brilliant one as spouses never know what to buy you and it saves tham so much hassle and it throws the guilt back to them!

Well done that man!

14. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
  15. sawfish

sawfish Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    could any of these grow in Glasgow Bananaman?