Anyone got one of these?

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by marge, Jan 26, 2007.

1. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    It's had some very good reviews Marge(you'll find some if you Google.), and the Zuiko lenses are highly regarded.
    I've just upgraded one of my digi-cams to a 9 Meg camera and gave some serious thought to going for a DSLR. The main reason I didn't take the DSLR route was in order to get coverage from wide angle to reasonably long telephoto would mean lugging a couple of lenses about. The standard lens with the E500 gives the equivalent of 28mm to 90mm by the "old" 35mm standard so if you want to get in close to anything distant you'll probably find you want to invest in the Zuiko 40-150mm (80-300 in 35mm) lens too.
    As I said I didn't take the DSL route and ended up with a camera that gives me 28 - 300mm plus macro with one lens.
    One other comment. Going by the reviews I've read on the E500 it isn't all that fast at starting up and storing pics which can be a significant factor in some situations.
    If you've not already done it I'd suggest you browse a few review sites. I'd also recommend shopping around as I saved around �£50 on mine by avoiding the big main dealers.

3. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    http://www.dcviews.co.uk/reviews/Olympus-E500/Olympus-E500-review.htm

Looks ok doesn't it marge.

The Gadget Show on C5 always recomend the Canon EOS 400D.

Currys seem quite cheap for the olympus but if you use Dixons online (exactly the same company as currys) and use code SALE300 you get an extra �£15 off again and its free delivery :D So total price comes to �£334.88 delivered ;)

Stu [​IMG]

4. boygardener

boygardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :D Hi i have one i payed Ã?£295.99 [​IMG]

kind regards boygardener

:D [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with Dave. I have avoided a digital SLR because of cost, weight and need for extra lenses for wide angle and telephoto. I had enough of that with my film SLR. Too much stuff to lug around

6. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  7. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    They both look good. I have the Lumix you refer to. Its always best if you can go into a shop and handle them. Some cameras just feel right [​IMG]

8. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
  9. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks HB - yes, I went in yesterday having thought Id made up my mind but the Olympus 'felt' really good :rolleyes:

BM - I put the wrong link up - it was the s9600 I was looking at - sorry [​IMG] Thanks a lot for the links [​IMG]

10. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Got one ten days ago. It really is a super piece of kit.
    The Amazon price has fallen considerably over the last month and is now cheaper than the "bargain" I got on the following site where the price is still lower than Amazon.
    http://www.purelygadgets.co.uk/

11. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i found the review site linked from http://www.davidbarber.org/technology/dcreview.html really useful when i was recently looking to buy a new camera. I did soon realise that as always, there is someone out there who's had a bad experience with every camera going!
    happy shopping!
    incidently, i bought the canon s3, it is only 6mp but it is excellent IMHO!

12. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, Ive been and gone and done it! Ive ordered the Fuji s9600 [​IMG] [​IMG] from Amazon with a 1GB card and a bag :D :D I went into Jessops and tried the Panasonic and the Fuji and made my decision. Thanks for all your advice and I cant wait for it to come :rolleyes:

13. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Nice one Marge. My first digital was a Panasonic - I now have the Fuji S5100 - and rate Fuji.

Look forward to seeing your pictures with it.

14. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    I'm still getting used to the Fuji 9600 Marge but I can say it is by far the easiest digi cam to handle that I've ever used. The manual override is brilliant and almost like using an old high quality SLR.
    The video quality is brilliant too, so good that I've just invested in an additional 4 GB CF card and will use the Fuji for any short holiday films rather than lug the video cam about.

There's a Fuji user site here which often has some handy hints and tips -
    http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/myfuji/

15. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Fran and thanks Dave for the link - that will be very useful for sure [​IMG]