anyone harvested any spuds yet ?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by cattwoman25, Jun 18, 2008.

1. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi all

well i could'nt wait any longer :D

i have emptied one of my pots with spuds in

got about 40 good size new potatoes :eek:

im well chuffed :thumb:

now got 23 pots left lol think i might be kept in spuds all yr if there are all as good :eek:

2. hammer

hammer Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi when did you plant the seed potatoes.

3. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi cattwoman. Been digging mine up for a week now, and flippin` lovely they are too ! (Arran Pilot`s) :) Cheers...freddy.

4. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi CW25 , I planted my first ever early spuds in a container on the 15th March. Could they be ready now ? What happens if you leave them in the container - say for another month?

5. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi hammer

i planted them mid feb and then a pot every 2 weeks so they were'nt all ready at the same time

nice one freddy mine are maris peer , charlotte , internatinal kidney (jerseys) , and ulster

smiffy have they flowered yet ? does any of the follage seem to be dying off at the base ?

if so have a dig around see what you find

and if not still have a digg around see what you find if they feel big enough then the are ready just furk out what you need or use the lot

you can leave them in another month they will just get bigger

6. mojo

mojo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have dug three roots of new pots and they taste so good (suttons foremost), a few years ago we had some called adora but have never been able to get them again , does anyone know if they are still about?

7. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just started harvesting my earlies - duke of york and charlotte. I have planted pink fir apple, but they are not ready yet.
    Scrummy

Planted mine on 26/03/2008 - i know this cos i am sad enough to record when i plant stuff!!

8. Smiffy

Smiffy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    CW25 , the foliage is dying of on the Orla container - can't remeber seeing any flowers. My other 2 containers are flowering now - although the wind and rain seems to have broken some stems ???. I'll have alook after the weekend.
    Badsal I planted my duke of yorks on the 12th of April , I am also sad enough to record everything on an Excel sheet ! :D

9. vegmandan

vegmandan Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Been digging my Nicola up for a couple of weeks in the polytunnel.

Found a cracker the other day.

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  11. Prastio

Prastio Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Had my first bowlful of International Kidneys today. A bit early and a bit small but I couldn't resist a taster. Much more flavour than the so-called "Jersey Royals" from the Supermarket!

12. mandy l

mandy l Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just joined, this is my first post we have just had are first potatoes to day with are sunday dinner with mint sauce lovely.

13. minxycat2002

minxycat2002 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thought id missed the boat this year with spuds but it seems not, last year i grew pink firapple and estima, the estima were brill huge great big spuds we had but the pinks were awfull hardly any there at all.

q is i, i thought i had emptied all the potatoe barrel that had them in and 2 weeks ago i have plants rapidlycumming up, so i covered in compost but, will they still be as good bearing in mine i havnt really earthed up much?

14. David_Schmavid

David_Schmavid Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    iyer,

what kind of pots are you growing them in?

15. vegpatch

vegpatch Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I ate mine ages ago. I wish I had waited longer now but had some lovely spuds. I roasted them and had them with sunday lunches. next time i'm gonna grow lots more bucketfuls