Anyone here got a sloping garden?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sabrina Fair, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Sabrina Fair

Sabrina Fair Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello
    Not sure how this all works.....
    Anyway I have just moved to a house with a really steep slope. (I don't quite have to go up on all fours!) and I was just wondering if anyone has a sloping garden as I would really like to explore some ideas.
    I've asked a garden design co. for a 'ball park figure' (what's behind that saying I wonder) and they came in at £500 per day.... to sort decking and such like. To date I have spent £30 on three wooden boarding strips to hold back some earth and create small level areas to stand on.
    It is going to be great...one day.
    Sabrina

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Sloping gardens cry out for a rockery and waterfall design :)
    [​IMG]

3. gingernutsman

gingernutsman Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Sabrina Fair,
    Check out the thread My Back Garden and you will see just what a problem a sloping garden can be.
    G.man:D

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Anyway I have just moved to a house with a really steep slope. (I don't quite have to go up on all fours!) and I was just wondering if anyone has a sloping garden as I would really like to explore some ideas.
    I've asked a garden design co. for a 'ball park figure' (what's behind that saying I wonder) and they came in at £500 per day.... to sort decking and such like. To date I have spent £30 on three wooden boarding strips to hold back some earth and create small level areas to stand on.
    It is going to be great...one day.
    Sabrina

I love the so called garden desighn companys, I can do a similar job using no fancy plans only a written spec for half the cost yet still make upwards of £200 pd!

Some of the jobs the 'local' desighner does are laughable and all seem to feature japanese anemone.

5. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    How many days did they recon ???

6. Sabrina Fair

Sabrina Fair Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All
    Thanks for the messages.
    'They' were quoting for 5-6 days but that was just for the decking idea. Then to landscape with railway sleepers was going to be more days etc..I estimated the total bill to be in the region of £9000..he..he! I think they were trying to tell me they didn't want the job!
    Sabrina

7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Possibly or they thought you were gulibale, Its amazing what some folk will pay for a fancy desighner arty farty plan, of course once the gardens comlete it will never see the light of day again.

If customers are unsure of what im trying to explain then I simply call my photo portfolio up on the lap top, chances are Ive done something similar before. A photo speaks a thousand words and is farr better than some pencil and watercolor nonsense.

Anyway, im starting to deerail this with a rant so id better stop.

8. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Sabrina welcome to the forum.

Both my side garden and back are on a slope although nowhere near what Gingernutsman has to work with.

Below is our side garden we did all the work in just a couple of weeks last July although I changed the designs a great many times before it was done. To the left hand side we have a little deck area as well.

[​IMG]

The next pictures are of the back garden taken last year and still a working progress, like your way of thinking we leveled off part of the garden with the aid of little sleepers brought from B&Q, raised the the area and finished off with a gravel area this year we are adding yet another decking area to go just outside the door area. All done my lovely handy hubbie Bob and I and all it cost was the materials and lots of cuppas and bacon butties.:DHel.xxx.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]