Anyone into film photography?

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by jared lecouteur, Aug 20, 2012.

1. jared lecouteur

jared lecouteur Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i use a praktica ee2 with both a fixed 50mm lens and a 28-70mm,
    does anyone else use film?

2. Naylors Ark

Naylors Ark Struggling to tame her French acres.

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Hi jared. Welcome to the forum.:sign0016:
    The answer to your question is, not since digital was invented.
    Why do you prefer film?

3. jared lecouteur

jared lecouteur Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I love the grainy effect that my camera achieves, also it is more rewarding getting a perfect shot knowing that you did the shot, not the camera for you. (it's cheaper too)

4. Naylors Ark

Ratings:
    +1,019
    But all those things you can get with a digital. The grainy effect, manual control and I can't see how film is cheaper. The opposite I would have thought. Film is expensive, as is developing. Even if you do the developing yourself.
    If you don't do the developing yourself, then you also have less control of the finished image then you would using post processing on a digital image. :scratch:
    The only cheaper thing I can see would be the camera itself.

5. Jessss

Jessss Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I have both , A film camera and a digital camera, and i think that it all depends on what you are tryign to get out of your photos.
    I mean, when i want a bold photo, or moving photos, i do not pause to pick up my Nikon D3100, wheras when i am looking for a more vintage look, or just a 'older', softer look i pick up my film camera.
    Have you ever used out of date films Jared? These are cheaper than regular film and give an even grainier look to the photo.

6. Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
    Ratings:
    +568
    I'm in the process of attempting to get cash from my film camera equipment Asahi Pentax Electrospotmatic to subsidize me buying some sort of digital video camera. No luck as yet. I enjoyed snapping and developing, one workmate had his wedding in the station church at Kai Tak, Hong Kong. I took B&W snaps and had them back in his hand within the hour!

Cheers, Tony.

7. Naylors Ark

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Can you post one of your "older, softer" looking photos to illustrate what you mean. At the moment I can't see why you could not achieve that look with your Nikon digital and some PP.

8. jared lecouteur

jared lecouteur Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think you can achieve a true film effect on a dslr, i have friends that try to mimic this, but it never works as well. i have used dslr cameras in the past and still use them, but i prefer to use film.

9. Jessss

Ratings:
    +12
    This is the photo which i took with a old film in a film camera.
    Naylors ark , some people dont like to edit photos, i myself like raw photos.

Attached Files:

10. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,664
    Hi Jared my first cameras were Feds and Zenith 35mm,and I was hand reared on film cameras,I also used to work with a Mamiya C330 (120/220 film) for weddings,what a challenge that was,but it was a great learning curve,but now I use Nikon,s and Cannons (Digital):)

11. Naylors Ark

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Are you developing yourself or getting a lab to do it?
    If the lab is doing it, then they are doing the "post processing" for you!
    All post processing done on computers with digital images is also done in the lab with film. They are making all the same choices for you.
    It's like me taking a digital photo then handing it to someone else to finish.
    I'd rather do my own.:)

12. Jessss

Ratings:
    +12
    I did this in the college dark room /:

13. Naylors Ark

Ratings:
    +1,019
    In that case you did do post processing, no different to doing it via computer. Just more messy with film.

14. jared lecouteur

jared lecouteur Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, this is my first proper slr film camera, although i have had a canon 50d before, i also have an old kodak junior which uses 620 film, but i cant find it anywhere, i know you can do a conversion of 120 onto a 620 spool though :)

15. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    My first camera was a Kodak Brownie 127 and Boots or the local chemist had to do developing and printing I later moved onto SLRS and like Woo also had a TLR Mamiya and I started doing all my own D&P. I enjoyed the control that DIY D&P afforded but it wasn't cheap, it was also messy, smelly and time-consuming. I used to buy my film in bulk rolls of ex-movie film stock and load my own cassettes.
    Now I've moved to digital I can do my 'D&P' without having to spend hours in the darkroom in the garden shed or having to shell out on film and chemicals. I can also experiment with my cameras knowing that any mistakes are not going to cost me anything.

My last 'film' camera was a late 19th century Kodak Bullet - it was Kodak's first camera to use roll film as well as plates. I regret that I never used it before selling it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]