Anyone made a bog garden?

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by DMudlark, Dec 5, 2014.

1. DMudlark

DMudlark Gardener

Gardener
    Ratings:
    +31
    I don't know if 'Water Gardening' covers bog gardens :) I'd like to make a bog garden out of one of my plots, to put in hosta, perennial lobelia, ferns, astilbes, candelabra primulas, etc.. Wondering if anyone on here has created a bog garden, how it went, how deep you dug, and what sort of liner was used. Also rough costing.

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,352
      hi , hard part is digging it out and can be made quite cheaply if using plastic sheets , what type of soil do you have ? and how deep are you able to get down before it becomes difficult

To be honest its just like making a pond but filling with soil and its best to have leaks otherwise it can get a bit smelly .

Spruce

• IGraham

IGraham Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +22
      My project from last year, the last two photos are early, the rest about August. Still learning what plants will grow - or die.
      The thing is raised up above the pond and contained in sleepers and the thing is lined with a pond liner. A solar powered 6v pump raisers water from a sump and trickles water in at one end, the water flows through and back into the pond, the water is then gravity returned to the sump. It wasn't particularly cheap to construct but I enjoyed the doing and the result.

Its filed with cheap multi-compost as that contains the most peat and the least nutrients. I'd have preferred to use pure peat but thats not so easy to get hold of.

I used water cress to get the thing established and use up the nutrients, I replaced them with other plants during the year.

Great fun and am looking forward to spring and new growth.
      bog6.jpg bog5.jpg bog4.jpg bog3.jpg bog2.jpg bog1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
      • moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +9,817
        Looks wonderful, Graham, but the state my garden is in at the moment it is a quagmire! Needs filtering.

• kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
        Ratings:
        +4,647
        That raised Bog Garden is fabulous (and good thinking outside the box). Very impressive.

• Agree Agree x 2