Anyone tried growing melons?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Baalmaiden, May 11, 2024.

1. Baalmaiden

Baalmaiden Gardener

Ratings:
    +303
    I'm trying Minnesota Midget on the south end of my greenhouse, farthest away from the door. I have two in pots which I have been putting indoors at night and am thinking of planting them out next week. I'll grow them up strings. Wish me luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +22,468
      @Baalmaiden I've grown melons since the 90's, they did best in a coldframe in Essex, in Devon they do less well, but I always get a few. This year I'm growing Malaga, I sowed the seed late April and have small plants in the propagator. They will get potted up at some point this week and planted into large pots in the greenhouse first week in June. Often get a lot of male flowers at the start followed by female flowers a bit later, you will probably need to pollinate them yourself. I find the fruit is often heavier than the plant, growing up a string, can support I have made melon hammocks before now. Perhaps old tights could be used. When you can smell them then they are ripe.
      Good luck.

• Garrett

Garrett Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +883
      I grew them successfully last year up some string. I'm trying a different variety this year, Old West Virginia.

My main advice is to check for female flowers each day and hand pollinate them, don't rely on insects. You can snap off the male flowers and use them like a little wand to pollinate the females.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,690
      I did 3 years ago

Melon Growing Advice

I got a few but for all the tlc and space they occupy it wasn't worth it for me. I lost most to mice.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,463
        We grew Ananas D'Amerique last year in the polytunnel. Had very small fruits which were very pleasant. Probably so small as we didn't water enough.

• Hanglow

Hanglow Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,953
        I'm trying two plants of Emir this year, up a string. I did try them quite a number of years ago just in a grow bag and didn't prune them, I got two very small but tasty ripe melons. Going to try and make more effort this year

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +91,679
          I've tried them over the years with what I would call, not worth bothering with, success. :biggrin:
          Usually the melons in my cold frame have been small and late ripening.

I'm not even a lover of melon so I'm not sure why I'm trying again this year, probably because I'm stupid but I do like trying things, only space I have is outside so that's where they are going, three cantaloupe types and three watermelons. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
          • Thevictorian

Thevictorian Gardener

Ratings:
            +362
            I've grown sugar baby watermelon and emir with some success. I'm giving it ago again this year which probably means we'll have a crap summer, I missed 2022 which wold have been perfect for them.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • Allotment Boy

Allotment Boy Lifelong Allotmenteer

Retired Medical Lab Scientist
              Ratings:
              +307
              I am growing Emir this year too. I have grown outdoor wonder before but found it still did best in he greenhouse.

• Informative Informative x 1
              • Baalmaiden

Baalmaiden Gardener

Ratings:
                +303
                Well they're in the ground now and seem to be enjoying the heat, unlike the tomatoes which are flagging a bit. I thought I would try them as they are so expensive in the shops now.

• Like Like x 2