aphids

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by flatfeetflynn, Jun 4, 2009.

1. flatfeetflynn

flatfeetflynn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hiya iv'e just found a load of aphids on one of my fuchias i brought a few weeks ago will they damage my plant or can i leave them, what's the best way of getting rid of them thanks.:thumb:

2. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Get rid of them ff.. They will ruin you Fuchia.. Either rub them off with your fingers or do as I do and Spray them with Gfly Bfly Killer.. Doesen't matter where you buy it or how much you Pay, they All work :) I would check all your plants if i were you..

3. flatfeetflynn

flatfeetflynn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes i will be squelshing them aphids later thanks for reply.

4. Bashy

Bashy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have an ongoing battle with aphids (green and black) and have built in to my morning watering a regular squishing. They love my roses and the dalias new buds as they form. I also have the same problem with ants farming off the aphids eggs. I take great pleasure in squishing them too.

Do spray from time to time with bug clear / rose clear, but find it too expensive to do all the time, and has no lasting effect. A few days later and the little s**ts are back.

Happy squishing!

5. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I usually spray infested plants with a mix of soap and water. The tougher plants get a good squirt with the hose first to knock the aphids off. Squishing is all well and good, but I find they usually congregate in really tricky places, like in the folds of new leaves, where you can't really get your fingers in without causing damage to the young leaves. I reckon there is no single solution to aphids.

Oddly enough, until last year I never had a problem with them, but then I had lots of hover flies and ladybirds kicking about. After I blitzed my garden to get rid of the bindweed, I reckon I must of took away something that the hoverflies and ladybirds must have been using, so they all went, but that's just a theory.