Apple Tree Fire Blight?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Weedling, May 24, 2018.

1. Weedling

Weedling Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    While I am posting in the trees section.I realised I can get some thoughts of another tree related issue.

I have an old apple tree in the back garden. It is provides a good crop when it is a good year. It is at least 40 years old.

In the last few years, it seemed to get weaker and one one side a large branch broke ( I assumed due to the weight in a bumper crop year). But, on the remaining arm of the branch, it began to develop what looks to be fire blight?!? Maybe the branch breaking was an early sign of weakness.

The tree grew in a V shape. One side of the V appears to be fine no breakages etc. The other side I have slowly cut back and back when the fire blight has appeared.

It is visible again on the remaining trunk of the bad side of the V.

So, I just wanted thoughts to try and remedy it before it reached the part where the V's join and it spreads up the other side.

I still have about 2 metres of clean trunk before the fire blight starts. So I can cut it back again.

Do i need to prescribe any sort of nutrients to help it fight it? Or is it just the beginning of a death throw for what is a 40yo apple tree.

Is it actually fire blight? It is the closest thing that matches?

Thoughts?

trees-5540.jpg trees-5542.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: May 25, 2018
    • Tom Saunders

Tom Saunders Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      From looking at the photo it does not look like fireblight but more of a stress fracture that a pathogen may have entered.do the leaves appear scorched?
      Apple trees do get to a certain age and start dropping branches unless they are pruned to reduce end weight expecially with heavy crops so i would not worry about it too much and just monitor it over the coming years.
      Hope i can be of help.