Apple tree - no blossom or fruit

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by tuttifrutti, Jul 27, 2006.

1. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello, last year i bought 2 apple trees from netto - a granny smith and a cox orange pippin. Neither have had blossom or fruit. They are approx 6ft.

can anyone help.

cath :confused:

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    Hello, tuttifrutti, and welcome to GC! I have a Ballerina apple tree which flowered but for the first year has had no fruit! :( I'm putting my problem (or rather, the apple tree's problem!) down to having been moved from the IoW to Portugal last August and trying to get accustomed to the weather here. Do you have yours in pots or in the ground?

3. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi tutti.and also welcome to the site.
    If you bought your apples from Netto then they are probably 1 year old maidens so will be too young to get much off of them.
    They are I expect getting their roots established,before they start flowering.

When we bought our trees years ago the books all said to not let them bare fruit until year 3,then to start harvesting as normal.

We find the cox's orange pippin we have bres a good crop but they are usually scaby,but still eatable.

A good book we started was the "Fruit Expert" by Dr Hessaian

Kandyfloss

4. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks kandyfloss ,you are probably right, they do look quite maidenly. Thanks for the other info regarding not letting it fruit for 3 years!!

Lady of leisure - the apples are in the ground.

thanks all!!

5. sparkle

sparkle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my 16ft pear tree had blossom but no fruit - I think my slackness with the watering is to blame for that! I'm just glad the thing still has leaves.

6. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Sparkle.Your pear tree may have been hit by a late frost that killed off any blossom it might have had.

This heat wave is going to cause a lot of problems next year,because any stress that trees are under this year will show itself in the following year.

You can try watering, but because of the heat you will have to keep on for quite a while until the weather breaks and we get rain for quite a time.

Kandyfloss

7. sparkle

sparkle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm giving it a can of water every day now - that'll teach me. Sounds like I might have ruined next years harvest as well :(

8. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Sparkle if you have ruined next years harvest,then so have I because with this hot weather I think no matter what we do it won't make a lot of differance as the weather this year has been so unpredictable.I don't think any fruit trees can be expected to perform well.

Kandy