apple tree + plant

Discussion in 'Trees' started by paul walker, Oct 2, 2007.

1. paul walker

paul walker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi every one, could you please tell me why are the leaves at the bottom of the apple tree crispy and got brown on some of them plus wholes in some of the leaves but the new leaves at top look fine see pic i feed it every wk with m grow, plus look at this house plant dont know what its called it was given to me but i want to know if i can get a cutting from it and if i can how do i do it i.e were do i cut and how much then what, as i,ve never done it b4,it was alot smaller than this wen i got it given. thank you paul walker. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Don't know about the apple tree (except you could be over fertilizing) Paul and can't quite decide from your photos if the palm (yes I'm certain it's a palm) is actually technically a house plant. Can you post some bigger photos particularly of the base where it goes into the pot? It could be a parlour palm, maybe one of the Chamaedorea but it may even be something like a Phoenix canariensis or even a P. dactylifera (somebody's shoved a date seed in a pot and it's taken). Either way it is unlikely you can take a cutting. The usual way to grow palms is by seed or occasionally division. Pete, if you see this thread, have you got any ideas?

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    I think the palm is Chamaedorea elegans, (I call it Neanthe bella), I think division is the only option at the base, but that could well spoil the plant, so personally I'd leave it alone.

As to the apple tree Paul, I dont think I would worry that much about a few dying leaves at this time of the year, it wont be long before they fall now, so the tree will start to look a bit ragged.
    Think I'd stop feeding about now as well Paul.