1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple tree pruning

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Scudo, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Scudo

Scudo Gardener

Retired layabout
    Ratings:
    +268
    Maybe too late for this year however my question is:
    Should I prune some of the branches off this apple tree (type unknown) also should I allow the main `leader` branch to continue upwards or cut back.

DSCN0978.JPG

2. Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
    +599
    As it's a standalone tree (i.e not an espallier), I would leave pruning the trunk/leader for when it's more established - which may take a couple of years or more. Then cut it to your desired height.

Any crossing or rubbing branches would be best removed when it's dormant but if there are any signs of disease, it would be advisable to remove them now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,292
      If I may offer a suggestion? The tree will grow and thrive much better if you clear some of the grass around it, say 18" all round, and mulch the root area (keeping the mulch away from the trunk). Grass is pretty stiff competition for a young tree in terms of food and water. It will also make mowing easier :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,830
        I agree with all of the comments above. The only point I would add, as you don't know the variety, is determine whether it is a tip bearer or a spur bearer. This will determine future pruning requirements.

• Like Like x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Scudo, a couple of things first........what shape do you want? How high? So pruning is initialy down to what you want from your apple tree :)
          It is important to know if you have a tip or spur bearer, as Redwing says. However, this is only relevant when it comes to fruiting....in a couple of years and thereafter. (I would initially train it as a spur bearer for now) For now, training is most important. For me it would be about developing a balanced vase shaped tree.
          Agree too with noisette .......it is important to clear a circle clear of grass around your tree....a minimum of 60 cm or so right now. Feed, water and mulch.:)

• Useful Useful x 1
          • Scudo

Scudo Gardener

Retired layabout
            Ratings:
            +268
            Thanks for the replies and info.

Poor angle on the image as I have approx 14 inches clearance, just needs tiding up as the grass is beginning to sprout.

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +14,292
            :blue thumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1