1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple tree uprooted

Discussion in 'Trees' started by TheMadHedger, Oct 12, 2018.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Just had one of my apple trees uprooted - as at least half of the roots are still in the ground is it salvageable? It has, I think, three grafted on branches so it gives three different varieties of apples.

I guess it's about 15 feet in height, the main trunk is about 8 or 9 inches in diameter.

I'm thinking of cutting back the branches, not sure how much though - perhaps to about 5 to 10 feet?

I'll also cut off the roots that are waving in the air and fill in the hole.

Does that sound like the best approach? Hopefully it will continue to give some apples - at least it won't blow over again! :-)

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Well without a pic its hard to say.. One up at the orchard fell over a bit and we pushed it back upright firmed back the soil and staked it for the moment, didn't prune yet but will do when the leaves have fallen.. This might help..
    When to prune apple and other fruit trees

3. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks for the advice and the link. Afraid there's no chance of getting it back upright, not without some heavy lifting machinery and some very large stakes, and even then it wouldn't surprise me if it blew down again.

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Sorry it is hard to imagine how big it really is.. In the old orchard there was an apple tree that blew over in the wind and was too big to push upright so they made a support for the trunk at the angle it was, so that it kind of sat on a sort of sawing horse type support is the only way I can describe it.. Any thing that would take the weight I suppose, then they heaped loads of soil around the exposed roots, creating a mound.. Once that was done they pruned and reshaped it to the angle it was then growing at... I think it fruited for another 10yrs before the support collapsed so it was removed then.. Don’t know if that helps @TheMadHedger :SUNsmile:

5. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,089
    Have seen old orchards with trees that have toppled over still growing away happily. As long as somevroots are still intact it will be ok. Just needs a pruning to manage its new situation.

6. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Thank you again, I wish it could be put back upright (even partially) but I'm hopeful that it will do okay with a winter prune, especially now that I've filled in the hole. I've cut off the exposed roots but without creating a huge mound of earth I can't easily cover where those roots were. I guess it will sort itself out. :)

7. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks, that sound promising. There's still about half to two thirds of the roots underground - no doubt a few are bent or snapped but going by those that were exposed they seem very flexible so I have high hopes for more apples next year. :)

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
      +172
      Surely it could be winched back up and then supported in position