1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple tree

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Snowbaby, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Snowbaby

Snowbaby Gardener

Childminder
    Ratings:
    +117
    I bought this apple tree about 3 or 4 years ago in either Lidl or Aldi (forgive my poor memory).

This is the first time it has ever flowered... Does that mean it will produce fruit this year?

What sort of care should I give in order to promote fruit production? It has only ever been a twig in a pot until now!!!

Attached Files:

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Snowbaby :)

It'll need feeding, hand full of growmore will help. Are you keeping it in a pot?

3. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    It may well set fruit, but you could always hand pollinate with a very soft brush etc it to be sure.

Think what you will need to do is protect those buds / flowers from the frost /snow we are going to be getting next week according to the weather forcasters.
    A roll of garden fleece is about £4 and should easily give it a double covering.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Snowbaby

Snowbaby Gardener

Childminder
      Ratings:
      +117
      Yes it's in a pot ziggy
      Would it be enough to move it into the shed overnight?

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Be better off in the ground long term. Yep, shed should keep the worse of the weather off :)

Don't get sad when some of the tiny fruits fall off in june, they do that.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,962
      Most apple varieties need a pollinator, so hope you have some neighbours with apple trees in bloom at the same time.
      So bring it out of the shed in the mornings, once any frost is past, and put it in a warm sunny spot to attract the bees.

• Snowbaby

Snowbaby Gardener

Childminder
      Ratings:
      +117
      My neighbour has an apple tree which fruits every year so fingers crossed!

My garden is a bit of a bog when it rains which is why I have opted for a pot. If I was to plant it, would it survive being moved? Is there a better time of year to move it? And with fear of sounding stupid..... do I simply dig a hole and drop it in?! Should I stake it in the pot and in ground if I do plant it?

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Best keep it in a pot then :)