Apples and Pears

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Freddy, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi folks. I`m nearly at the stage where I need to buy some fruit trees (2 apple, 1 pear and a plum). I have limited space as my garden is narrow(only 12ft). I therefore assume I`ll need dwarf rootstock. If all 4 trees have the same rootstock, is it safe to assume they`ll all be pretty much the same size at maturity? Also...the rootstock...is it M6 or something? Cheers...freddy.

2. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi freddy i fancy a couple of fruit trees, i saw some in wilkos, apple, pear, orange, trees for �£3.99.. i wonder if anyone on gc has any advice, eg, are they any good:), do they need polinated, and do you really get fruit as in the pics on the labels..

3. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Freddy and Dee. Got mine from Wilkos. No problem except the fig died within 2 weeks. Freddy is quite right with 2 apples. They pollinate far better even those that don't technically require cross pollination. I think the ones in Wilko at the moment are dwarf plants. OK if you want dwarf but no they won't fruit like the picture - unless you are Percy Thrower. Got another fig this year about 2 weeks ago and so far looks fine but of course I left it late to buy before (fatal with Scarborough Wilko) but now I have the g.house.

4. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey I got this posted and then realised I am talking gardening for the first time in months. Is Spring here? YIPPEE [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi `daisy`. I myself have seen trees like the ones you mention, but I dont think there was any information about the rootstock. If I had plenty of space it wouldn`t be an issue. I`m no expert on pollination(unless you count the kids ;) ) but I DO know that Cox`s require a cross-pollinator which happens to be one of the trees I`m after. If anyone could suggest something to go with it? Cheers...freddy.

6. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    thanks john, freddy, suppose ill buy two apple trees then..Cheers, By the way john i would love to see a pic of your greenhouse.. I went all through the greenhouse pics thread last week and i really enjoyed it..Dee.

7. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm redeveloping the entire area Dee and will post a piccie then.

P.S. Lend me a fiver for a cup of tea will you. :D

8. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm no expert either Freddy but a neighbour has a Cox and a Granny Smith which apparently flower about the same time (which is what you need).

9. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Thanks Sarraceniac. A LONG time ago I grew one alongside a James Grieve which was recommended, but I can`t for the life of me remember if it was any good ! Rootstock info ? Cheers...freddy.

10. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    hope you took before during and after pics john..

Re lending you a fiver for a cuppa..........NO :D

11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Got a pear and a fig from Wilkos a few weeks ago both doing well the pear is grafted on dwarf root stock.

12. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I think it's an M9 you need for a dwarf root stock or M27 for a very dwarf tree. You can get a self fertile cox and the victoria plum is also self fertile as are concorde and conference pears. Hope this helps.

13. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi folks. Well, I`ve placed the order for 2 apple (queen cox and james grieve) 1 pear(conference) and plum(victoria). The apples are on M26 rootstock, the pear is on Quince 1 and the plum is on Pixey. Seems like the really dwarf rootstock can be troublesome, ie requires a lot of attention whereas the semi-dwarf is easier and produces more fruit, and I`m assured that all I need to do is stop the leader when it`s reached the size I want. I paid around �£15 for each tree from a nursery called Blackmoor`s. They are 2 year old bare rooted trees, dont seem like a bad price, I`ve seen a lot higher. So, just have to wait and see how they turn out. Cheers...freddy.

14. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Sounds good Freddy. Keep us informed.

15. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Im going shopping tomorrow Freddy, If i see a wilkos ill buy a couple of the apple trees we talked about.. maybe we can compare over summer, see which ones yield the most fruit :rolleyes: