1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

aquadulce claudia broad bean

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by gunners71uk, Mar 28, 2017.

1. gunners71uk

gunners71uk Apprentice Gardener

multi tasker
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi i been allotmenteering for some years now i normally sow aquadulce overwinter. but i have a packet now some seed companys say sow by march but its a broad bean and i assume it will be ok to sow now.anyone ever sowed them this late ? did they come ok ? your advice would be appreciated thankyou.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    I usually sow Aquadulce November time but one year I couldn't plant till nearly end of Feb.. They grew quite well but not a very big crop and the plants were not so sturdy, also harder to keep moist as they hadn't had a few months of getting roots down.... Also they were very blighted whereas my autumn sown never seem to have that problem..

3. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Hope it's okay to hijack this thread - I have some Aquadulce Claudia which I started off inside and planted outside some weeks ago - they are coming on really well.

I see that my area may get a touch of ground frost for two or three days this week - is it worth covering the plants? A few of them already have flower buds, presumably they could also be damaged by frost?

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    @TheMadHedger if you have got any fleece it might be worth covering them up with the risk of frost as they haven't possibly been in the ground long enough yet to get hardy or they might be fine if they are growing in a sunny spot as the warmth of the ground should help the plants.

Ours have been in since November and are in flower at the moment so hopefully should be ok as they have been in for long enough.

5. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Thanks for the advice. Thinking about it I believe they've now been in the ground for 4 or 5 weeks, they're also in sunny spot so hopefully they'll be okay (I don't have any fleece).

• Like Like x 1
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      Fingers crossed then @TheMadHedger they are a bean which normally overwinters so I can only be hopeful that they will be ok.. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1