Aquilegia/Colombine

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by SimonZ, Apr 28, 2020.

1. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    Hi, just basic advice sought for these flowers. I planted them a couple of years back and they grow every spring and summer, now spurting quite high and almost coming into flower, even though behind the shade of a honeysuckle. I generally water them morning and evening unless it rains and am just wondering if there is anything else I ought to do, such as division or pruning of any kind, or particular environmental changes that may be beneficial?

2. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    Hi @SimonZ

@shiney is probably the expert on Aquilegias as I know he used to grow hundreds. I grow
    a few but to be honest I just let them do their own thing.
    They'll be fine where they are as they are woodland plants but I only water mine perhaps once or twice a week when it's dry once they're established.
    As for pruning/cutting back, that's up to you. If you want them to seed themselves ( they are very promiscuous) then leave the seed heads on and you get many more different colour combinations, however if you're happy with the ones that you've already got the cut the stems off when the flowers die before they set any seed.
    I don't divide/split mine as I like to see a good clump of them, however if you have some growing too close together you can move some.
    As for the environment as long as they receive some shade from the hot sun ( which it sound like yours do ) they should be good.

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    @SimonZ @KFF is correct :blue thumb:. They are tough and look after themselves, especially as yours have now been established for a few years. If it's a really dry spell then you could water them but generally there is no need. As KFF said, they're quite promiscuous so don't expect young ones to breed true.

We used to collect the seeds and put them in packets and give them away when we had our garden open day. Then cut them back when the leaves started dying. Nothing else was really needed. Unfortunately, six years ago, the country was hit by Aquilegia Downy Mildew which is incurable. Carrie Thomas, who owned the National Collection, lost all of her collection and we lost almost all of ours (nearly 6,000). We now have some dotted around the garden but at least half of those come down with the dreaded lurgy.

Just some of what we used to have. :sad:

332_3278.JPG

P1120393.JPG

P1120628.JPG

P1120416.JPG

• Like Like x 3