Aquilegia problem

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Billi, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Billi

Billi Gardener

Mum and student
    Ratings:
    +61
    I ordered this white aquilegia when my nan was dying as it was her favourite flower, after she passed i put some of her ashes into the soil in a pot with the plant.
    Its growing fast but seems have have some issues, understandably i don't want to lose the plant. The new growth looks purple (cold damage being in the north of england?) And there seems to be holes in the leaves?
    I've been checking it daily to keep aphids at bay and also have copper tape around the outside of the pot to keep slugs and snails away.
    I would be so upset if i managed to kill it somehow. Please help!

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    It looks ok to me, the purple leaf colouring is normal, I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Billi

Billi Gardener

Mum and student
      Ratings:
      +61
      Thank you, i hope you're right. I've never grown it before but I've been gardening and keeping houseplants for years.
      After digging around the internet I've come to realise i may have overwatered it so I've put it in a brighter spot and I'm gonna leave it to dry out. Fingers crossed all is well.

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +122,455
        Agree with pete that purple is quite normal. If you have it in a pot it may soon become potbound so by next year I would suggest that you plant it out.

The thing you need to look out for is not to let its roots get too wet. It likes a moist soil (not too fussy about type of soil) but needs to be well drained. So pots are not the best situation unless you're careful.

Also, about 8 years ago a disease (Aquilegia Downy Mildew) swept through the country. There is no cure for it so keep an eye out for the leaves getting white spots at first then more of the leave going white. This can result in the plant wilting and dying. If you see any of it then remove those leaves and burn them.

The National Collection waste devastated by it!

Growing Aquilegias

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Billi

Billi Gardener

Mum and student
          Ratings:
          +61
          Thank you :) the pot its in currently isn't well drained, i will find a better suited one.

• Friendly Friendly x 1