Aquilegia problem.....

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by chobart, Jun 4, 2006.

1. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone any idea what may have attacked my Aquilegias - no pictures because where the plants were there is now just a pile of pieces of flower/leaf stems. We do have a lot of squirrels and mice (probably) plus the odd snake and of course slugs.
    All my friends have gone for slugs but why leave all the bits?
    Have dug the plant roots out and hope to recover but not ooptimistic since there is not a leaf in sight!

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    My guess would be snails. Slugs tend to go for leaves but snails just love to munch on those tender stems. One adult snail can do so much damage it's unreal :mad:

3. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chobart,this is just a thought, I used to work in a Clematis Nursery and we would sometimes find the small clematis that were growing in the polytunnels felled at the stem, nothing would be eaten just the stem cut down, on further investigation we found out it was voles.As the voles ran through the plants they just bit off the stems that were in there pathway, quite entertaining to watch but very costly to the nursery owner.

Poppy [​IMG]

4. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Poppy and Frogesque....I shall try again since I like the flowers. I have others in a different part of the garden which remain untouched.

Bye for now

5. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    This is probably not helpful but I wish something would attack mine as I am sick of digging then out as weed - sorry.

If all else fails I can send you some seed, though I have to say my nora barlo is very promiscuous!