Are Canary Island Palms heat tolerant?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by TheHound, Jun 24, 2015.

1. TheHound

TheHound Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Yes, I know, it's very hot in Canary Islands! But hear me out....

I am looking to pot two up for the side of the pond. A week or two ago, I thought a potted acer Phoenix looked nice there, it did, that is until the sun in South facing position reflected off the water and burnt the leaves to a crisp!

Moved the acer (hoping it bounces back again in shade) and wanted to put these Phoenix palms there?

Anybody have any experience? I know their not great in sharp frosts and cold, but some heat reflecting off pond?

Thanks

2. Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,631
    No idea about the canary palms but was def a mistake putting the acer there. its a red one isnt it?

Dont put it in full shade but it will need partial shade and some sunlight so that it stays red

They can be in full sun but they will only tolerate it and not thrive and are suseptabile to leaf scorch.

Hope it picks up asap for you :-)

3. TheHound

TheHound Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Dips, no it wasn't the best idea, and it's a young one too!

Have put it now in a better position, full sun for only a few hours a day!

I take it that it's likely to come back? There is some new red leaves coming through at the top so I guess it's a good sign.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,075
      I think the name Canary Island Palm kind of gives away the fact that it likes strong sun and heat.

But, ....... buy one that is not acclimatised to outdoor growth and it might react a bit.

Quite a lot of those on sale with very long fronds appear to have been "forced", probably under cover, so beware.

• stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
      Ratings:
      +2,369
      Canary Island palm thrive in moist cool conditions - might seem weird considering it's origins, but it grows high up in montane, moist north facing slopes.