1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Are my brassicas to leggy

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Notty1975, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Notty1975

Notty1975 Gardener

Driver
    Ratings:
    +107
    Hi all planted a range of brassicas on the 2/4 had them on the window sill at around 18c I’ve brought them down the greenhouse today but am concerned that they are to leggy any thoughts would be great

Attached Files:

2. Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    I'd pot them up and see what happens, make another sowing to fall back on though.. just a thought did you keep the propagtor lid on? They like it bit cooler, all my brassica seed packs say around 13/15C for starting off :smile:

3. Notty1975

Notty1975 Gardener

Driver
    Ratings:
    +107
    No just put them in the tray then the window sill I’m going to plat some more today just to make sure will the new lot be ok in the greenhouse it’s heated to stay around 10c min and to pot up the leggy ones can I plant them a bit deeper

4. Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    Yeah that should be fine in gh, just remember to open it up on sunny days :SUNsmile: (if we get any!) or even take them out for a bit till it cools and I'd pot up to first leaves, most brassicas like their roots firmed in well stops them getting windrocked and growing squiff

• Like Like x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,626
      I'd move them to the greenhouse for at least a week before any potting or root disturbance.
      they are a bit leggy but you can pot them lower when you move them burying some of the stem, but let them get used to the lower temps before you do that, ideally they need to be growing well when you pot them.
      Greenhouse is the best place for them.:smile:

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Notty1975

Notty1975 Gardener

Driver
        Ratings:
        +107
        Thanks both that’s brilliant