Are there any regulations for starting a gardening nursery online UK?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Humble Pepper, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Humble Pepper

Humble Pepper Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there

I'm going to be propagating my own fruit bushes and fruit trees for sale online for mail orders within the UK only.

Do I need to apply for any permits/licenses to sell fruit plants within the UK? I know of the Plant Health Propagation Scheme (PHPS), but is this a necessity? I know it lends a company more credibility. I also have heard about the plant passport system, but cannot find very much information on that anywhere. I have seen the list for the specific plants that have to carry the plant passport, and most of those I wish to propagate to sell are not included on that list. Does anyone have any experience on how Id go about getting this "plant passport" for cuttings that Id make to sell to online customers?

Also, any other legislation or licenses I need to be aware of?

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,837
      Good morning Humble Pepper,
      Welcome to Gardeners Corner; :sign0016: it's a bit early (post Jubbley celebrations) but there will be someone along to give you some help with your venture a bit later.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,466
      Welcome, HP :dbgrtmb:

No expert advice here but a few thoughts.

You should really contact defra to work out what you can and can't do. Also, there may be some infringement of breeders rights. This is covered by both defra and the IPO http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/patent/p-applying/p-before/p-otherprotect/p-plantbreeders.htm

Of course, on top of that you need to comply with all regulations necessary for setting up a business. This includes whether your have permission to operate a business from your property (from the local authority business rates dept). It would depend on where you are propagating the plants and where you are operating your mail order business from. For a small amount of vehicular movement to and from your property you may be able to get permission to operate without also needing planning permission (for change of use or variation of use or mixed use).

Then, of course, there's the taxman!

Just a few things to be getting on with!

Good luck :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
      • gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
        +1,663
        • Like Like x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,668
          • Like Like x 1