Are these ready to repot?

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Noushynoo, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Noushynoo

Noushynoo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    My bedroom floor, by a sunny window helps.

Planted these seeds in February. Sorry, nothing too exotic. I'm a beginner.

The first to shoot were the Asters, closely followed by the Echinacea Pink Parasol. A close third was the Poppy bright orange.
    Flagging last is the Verbena bonariensis. Only one shoot took hold at first, which took 3-4 weeks to show. Now there are some others. Only just.

Finishing the curtains? Well, that's been on my list of to dos for 3 years.

Are the larger ones now ready to repot?

Attached Files:

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    No not from what I can make out, the first leaves are the seed leaves, these are how you handle the plant, you hold these never the other leaves or the stem when potting on, wait until you can see a second set of leaves forming. It will be stronger and take the move better, Poppies do not like being moved so if its possible try to slide them out of the tray into their final position.

3. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    My method is rather different from the accepted wisdom. I consider myself somewhat skilled at pricking seedlings out as soon as they are upright using those bamboo skewers that can be bought in Asian s/markets (I'm paying 75p for 100). I find that it's the best way to avoid root trauma (the reason that your Poppies will almost certainly die if you attempt to prick them out now) without disturbing the other seeds around them. Just requires a steady hand and keen eyesight.

• Like Like x 3
    • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,089
      I've got some curtains like those ones!

I would prick them out now. I think they are easier to handle when still at the seed leaf stage, there's less chance of tangled roots getting damaged. If you use Longk's gentle digging technique you will barely have to do more than support the tiny stalk with a finger tip as you ease them into their new quarters.

Poppies - yes, they hate root disturbance but I'm not sure if they will hate it less as time goes on. I think I'd try to ease them out of the compost in a small clump so the ones at the centre of the clump will hardly notice, hopefully. Pot up the clump and carefully thin out if needed as they grow. Be prepared to use left over seed for also sowing in situ when it gets a little bit warmer.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
        Ratings:
        +3,225
        I was gonna make a thread asking when everyone pricks out their seedlings in general. I mean do people wait for a certain height. If so what height do people aim for?

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Jane , generally I wait until the second true leaves are forming. I don't lose many plants after pricking out , I could never prick out a first stage seedling - far to delicate for my lump hammer hands !

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,089
          The trouble is, the height will vary depending on how much light they've had. So a seedling that's been a bit shady will stretch up tall but that doesn't mean it's better or more further forward or healthier - quite the opposite. So Pamsdish & Harry S give good advice to say wait for the first true leaves. But I often do them earlier and they are usually fine.

• lost_in_france

lost_in_france Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,138
          See, that's what's great about being on here. Every single seed packet says to pot on 'when they're big enough to handle'. None ever mention when the true leaves arrive (or what they are) or that what might be ok for me to handle with small nimble fingers might not be ok for someone else, or as Madahlia says they might be big because they haven't had enough light. I always thought previously if I can get it out the tray without breaking it it's 'big enough'. Which it obviously is but not necessarily strong enough to survive. Love this place and I've learnt so much.

• Agree Agree x 4
          • Friendly Friendly x 1