areca / chrysalidocarpus

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by chan2, Jan 13, 2012.

1. chan2

chan2 Gardener

Gardener
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi

I grow quite a few of these for display purposes at work but the foliage has been yellowing through the winter. I have googled this and there seems to be a lot of contradictory advice - it might be too much water; not enough water; magnesium deficiency; potassium deficiency; high pH; not enough light etc........

does anyone here grow these and have an expert opinion. One of the offices at work has one and it looks so much healthier than mine - and i'm supposed to be a professional! I know, envy is a terrible thing......

thanks all.

emily

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,091
    Do you mean that you have one at home that is going yellow, or the ones at work are yellowing?

3. chan2

chan2 Gardener

Gardener
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Longk,

its the three large specimens in the greenhouse at work which have the problem.....

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,099
    Not an expert opinion by any means chan, but for what its worth, I find palms always start to go a bit yellow when in pots.
    I put it down to magnesium deficiency, or possibly nitrogen, if the compost is getting a bit old.

5. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,091
    I asked as I was wondering whether it was being exposed to cold draughts.........

6. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    I have also grown, at work, Arecas for displays in Civic buildings and offices and they frequently yellow after a time although in Chrysalidocarpus Lutescens the stems are yellow anyway. It is as Pete says, a deficiency as they are often grown in a peat/bark compost and are liquid feed during production with no long term fertiliser added.

7. chan2

chan2 Gardener

Gardener
    Ratings:
    +12
    thanks all,

maybe i will break out the epsom salts... i do feed these palms a 412 fertiliser with all the minors added in, I have stopped feeding over winter though.

the greenhouses are a little draughty, though i do try to plug the gaps when i can.....

emily

8. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Sounds like more of a temperature problem if you're feeding them with a decent fertiliser. Hope they recover.:)