Around the World in 80 Gardens

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Juliasaurus, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Juliasaurus

Juliasaurus Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Monty Don is presenting a new series on Sundays, BBC2 from 9-10pm, looking at some pretty impressive world gardens. It's on at the moment (sorry for not giving much notice), but appears to be repeated on Tuesdays at 7pm.

The BBC Gardening website has all the info here. I only started watching halfway through his bit about the volcanic garden, so I'll need to catch it again.

2. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Just finished watching it very good.

3. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah, I watched it. Not struck on the presenter but the prog. was all right. The only problem I get with M.D. is that he witters on a bit instead of getting on with the "meat"of the prog. Loved the Cuban system. Could you imagine that in this country? The yobs would have a field day!! [​IMG]

4. Juliasaurus

Juliasaurus Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    By the time he was leaving Mexico I said to my husband "This is just Monty Don goes to Mexico and doesn't like anything". He didn't like the garden with the cactus hedge because it was too cold and like walking round an art gallery, and he didn't like the surreal garden because he preferred the familiar.

Nevertheless, I shall be watching it next week, and it's nice to have a bit of a gardening fix while Gardeners' World is off-air.

5. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah. It's why I don't watch GW anymore. He's very opinionated. I will watch it next week. I think I'll turn the sound down and just appreciate that which people have created. :D

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Bob and I watched it too sadly we didn't enjoy it very much the idea sounded nice but in reality it was lacking something. I might watch next week as I just might be able to 'get into it'.
    Helen.xxx.

7. Juliasaurus

Juliasaurus Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I watch GW for Carol Klein now, but long for the days of Geoff Hamilton and Bob Flowerdew...

My mum said the first half of the programme was better.

8. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    cannot cope with Monty Don - has he any real gardening knowledge or is he just a 'presenter' who appears to have an opinion about everything.
    Interesting to see the Cuban story but the other part of the programme was a bit confusing

9. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +410
    Monty is definitely a Marmite presenter, some love him and some hate him.

I didn't hate him in this programme as much as I usually do. Although his inability to enjoy something at face value and his need to raise everything to a analytical debate makes me want to punch him.

"Do I like this, does it work, is it right to have this with this... bla bla bla"

Open your mind and enjoy it without connotation, not everything green has to meet RHS guidelines !!!

Apart from that, all good :D

10. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    See now i'm glad i missed it.

I was gutted at first! I love watching people get excited about things the way i do! I havent managed to find a gardening programme like that yet. Everyones a bit grumpy. We need Nick Knowles in the garden!

But then again i'd have issues focusing on the plants [​IMG]

11. Juliasaurus

Juliasaurus Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well that's why I like watching Carol Klein. She's softly spoken but I can tell that she really REALLY loves what she does. And her books are very enthusiastic - I bought my mum one of her vegetable books for Christmas.

12. Whiley

Whiley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll look out for that name Julia, i've not come across her yet!

13. Juliasaurus

Juliasaurus Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    She does a lot of fruit and veg gardening. In her 50s with short spiky hair. I first saw her covering the Chelsea Flower Show, but my allotment-owning workmate had her book before then. She's on GW at least every other week, I'd say.

Her BBC biography is here. Love the first paragraph:

14. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I thought it was good then again I quite like Monty Don and enjoyed his book jewel garden.

He comes across farr better on paper than on the box.

15. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    I enjoyed the programme, but it was more of a geographical ramble, that the review of famous gardens that I was expecting.