as good as it gets

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by carolb, Mar 25, 2007.

1. carolb

carolb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone,springs here,had a lovely day in the garden,sunny if not windy planted new border,the man cut down some old branches on the old apple tree,planted up toms caulis cabbage sown courgettes,and lots of flowers,had coffee in the sun,nothing to beat as u all no,carolb

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Absolutely agree - it just makes you want to get outside, especially when yesterday was so cold and miserable.

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    And I finally got started on this year's work!! Actually scarified and cut grass, and did some weeding! :D

4. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I didn`t wanna come indoors tonight, i`ve had such a lovely day at allotment.

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I agree wonderful day - got to grips for a good few things today.

6. Larburnum

Larburnum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dendrobium.. Did you feed and weed your grass before you scarified it, or have you no weeds or moss. My grass has suffered this year as we have been having major building work done. We have spent the afternoon digging up the worst part about 6 square metres and preparing it for re-turfing. The rest I think we can save but it has a lot of moss and few weeds. I was going to feed and weed it after its next cut, then scarify it. What do you think.

7. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    With customers, yes I do use that - but I did it in the autumn, then the rain started, and never stopped, so we couldn't scarify then. I prefer to do that now, though, since it looks scruffy for a shorter time, since the grass is beginning to grow.

In my own garden I prefer not to use any kind of chemicals, and fortunately we haven't got all that much moss, and weeds I remove completely and reseed bald patches. As we have 3 dogs and a cat (and 2 of the dogs are bitches...) we're never going to have perfect grass, but we need to keep it as well drained as possible, so it doesn't get boggy in the wet weather.

As for using the feed and weed and mosskiller - some people say do it before scarifying, others say after. If you do it before, the you don't get the benefit of killing off the moss, but the other argument says that the feed is feeding the moss too..... so, I dunno! On the whole I'd say do it before. Let's see what the others have to say!

8. Larburnum

Larburnum Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dendrobium for quick reply. The area we dug out today was boggy and compacted so we dug a bag of sharp sand and some compost into the soil before we lay the turf at the weekend. A week later I will feed and weed.

9. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    I'd go cautiously round your new bit of turf, though - try not to let any get on it, and not walk on it either - give it a chance to settle and get rooted into your soil before you start mowing..... A few grains landing on it won't hurt, but I'd be extra-cautious! :rolleyes:

Used to go down your way quite a bit when I was a kid - had an old Great-Uncle who had been Minister in Parton, and lived for a while by Loch Ken after he retired too!