Ash from coal fires

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Quaedor36, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Quaedor36

Quaedor36 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a coal fire in the house but burn logs as well (about half and half). The people on my allotment say that the ash is far too acid to use on the soil but my son has told me he uses the ash from his coal and log fire, and has done so for a long time, and his soil has never been so good. He, also, says that he has no prolem with growing anything he wants to grow.

Is he just lucky or is the ash okay to use?

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Quaedor,

you have it from the horse`s mouth, I would listen to your son and use the ash.

3. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Quaedor, I agree with your son, it also keeps the slugs away.:gnthb:

4. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    I would pour my ash around my Azalea bushes as a side dressing in the winter and even on top of the snow around them if the snow was there. They always do very well.

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,147
    I had coal fires in the UK for 23 years and wood fires here since 2001 ... both ashes are ace on the garden ...

Sorry guys, I'm not in the modern world and haven't had central heating ... I'm not cold and never have been .... :gnthb:

6. Quaedor36

Quaedor36 Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all! I'm glad I asked. I've just realised that, when I get lazy in winter, I pour the ash on my back garden (can't be bothered to go to the bin!) and I've never noticed any problems with the spring plants!

7. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Frank Fraser Darling a noted botanist created a very productive garden in the 1930s on the island of Tanera Mor in the Summer Isles on what had been totally unproductive soil, by using boiler ash (from the herring processing factory) and coral sand and seaweed from the beach.

8. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    How very lovely dave w:yho::)

9. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    If I were you, I would use it too. However, if you store the ash for about 3 months I'm told it will lose most of it's acidity.
    I dont have an open fire ( more's the pity ) but a work colleague has a wood burner, and he saves the ash for me.
    I use it mainly around the edge of the beds to deter slugs, a practise my grandad employed for many years.