Ash tree removal

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Bfm, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Bfm

Bfm Gardener

Ratings:
    +20
    Hi everyone,

We inherited several tress and shrubs when we moved into our new home. Our neighbour has informed me that one of the trees is an ash tree and it would cause some problems in the future particularly since it's approx a foot from our tarmacked drive.

He mentioned that he had several in the past and the root system spread out quickly and broke up parts of his drive. I'm assuming his advice is sound so I'm looking into removing it.

Would anyone please be able to offer a solution as to the best way of removing the tree? The tree currently stands approx 6ft tall and is located in a bed surrounded by large shrubs.

Thanks folks

2. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    It’s probably a seedling and easy to dig up if only 6’ tall.

• Like Like x 2
    • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
      +3,718
      Hello Bfm
      I'm about to tackle a tree myself, I've never had an ash tree but 6ft isn't to big I would imagine you can dig It out, I'd say if you can dig down through the roots 12" - 18" away from the stem then that would do it, unless someone who has experience with ash trees know better.

• Like Like x 2
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,318
        Well you could dig it out, if you do dont cut it down first, just remove the branches.
        That way you get leverage after digging around the roots.

If you dont intend digging it out, cut it down and drill holes in it and fill them with SBK.
        Vitax SBK 1L Brushwood Killer Tough Weedkiller: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
        Just fill the holes with funnel and then top it off with putty.

• Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +117,283
          Ash trees can be a bit of a nuisance. They tend to have a deep tap root. Their side roots don't usually present too much of a problem.

Sometimes the tap root, even on a 6' tree can be very deep and thick. Once you have dug a channel all around it and cut the side roots you may need to dig deeper to get the tap root lower down and chop through it.

Pete's suggestion is good because you can use the height of the trunk as a good lever. If the tap root is too big and the side roots are too difficult you can use a ratchet winch and strap attached round a big tree nearby (you said you had trees).

Ash seedlings tend to stay dormant for many years in the soil so you may need to keep your eyes open each Spring for new saplings growing.

• Like Like x 1
          • Bfm

Bfm Gardener

Ratings:
            +20
            Thanks very much everyone. Much appreciated