1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask Bilbo

Discussion in 'Gardeners Corner Question Time' started by Bilbo675, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    1. How did you come to join Gardeners Corner?
    I was looking for some info on something that I can't recall lol..it was the the best looking answer in google that I came across. I signed up and got the advice I was after, I liked the site so much I stuck around, I always like helping people where I can so that's what I've been doing as well as asking for more advice myself :D I'm a member of a few fishing forums but this beats them all, it's so friendly and helpful.

2. Name the countries or counties you have lived in?
    Only ever lived in the UK, I was born and bred in Cheshire, but I met my lovely wife on a dating site and moved to South Derbyshire two years ago; although our postcode insists we're in Nottinghamshire :scratch:, something to do with a border dispute or postal towns I think..??

3. Describe the type of work you do?
    I used to be a sales assistant for a bakery, but got bored after 10 years. I then took on the role of a fishery manager for 13 years before moving to Derbyshire, I loved that job; grass cutting, hedge cutting etc etc. Currently I am looking for work, hopefully something to do with gardening :thumb:

4. Describe how you first got into gardening?
    My grandad first got me in to gardening when I was able to walk!! lol, I used to have my own little patch in his garden and then I took over my mum's garden. Now I have my own to do as I please :D, well almost...

5. What would be your dream type of garden and do you think you will ever be able to achieve it?
    My dream garden would be 3 or 4 acres of trees and shrubs; a small arboretum, but I would also have to have a wildlife garden and natural pond too :thumb:
    I don't think I'll ever manage it, not on the scale I dream about anyway, but there's always hope........and hopefully the lottery lol :D

6. Have you any particular favourites in celebrity gardeners, flowers, shrubs and/or vegetables?
    No real stand out favourites, I watch most gardening programmes, I do like Monty and Alan though. I must say though that I really enjoyed Christine Walkden's show when that was on...
    Plant wise I love lots of different shrubs and trees, I love growing from seed, it's often the best way to get something unusual/rare. I also like cannas and aquilegias..:thumbsup:

7. Have you ever entered any of your plants into shows?
    No, not something that really interests me...to be honest.

8. If you had a garden created in your memory, what plants do you think would most adequately sum up you and your life?
    It would have to be a small collection of unusual trees and shrubs, perhaps even some that I have grown from seed.........must show the wife this in case I go first, then she doesn't bin them; she thinks I'm nuts - in a nice way of course :D

• Like Like x 3
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,465
      Have you got any tree or shrub that is your favourite?

• catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
      Ratings:
      +2,250
      Bilbo, what is your LEAST favorite plant. Not including weeds.

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      Hi Catztail I wouldn't say I have a plant that stands out as an absolute least favourite, but I guess common shrubs like kerria, and forsythia are on a list of that I would never buy. I don't really bother with common traditional bedding anynore either, it's bright and cheerful I know but I prefer more unusual stuff. I love going through Chiltern's seed catalogue every January and picking out seed that I've never heard of but the descriptions sound good :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,931
        Bilbo, you sound like me 20yrs ago.:D

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
        Ratings:
        +6,654
        Sorry for the late reply; I wouldn't say that I have one particular plant that is a favourite but I do like some some of the more unusual shrubs and trees that I have grown from seed like Cladrastis sinensis, Acer pensylvanicum 'Erythrocladum', I also like Sorbus Hillings Spire and Cornus Kousa. Another favourite may seem plain but I do like the Portuguese Laurel; allowed to grow as an unpruned shrub. There are many many more to mention but these are a few that get my vote :thumb: