Ask Rosa

Discussion in 'Gardeners Corner Question Time' started by rosa, Oct 4, 2009.

1. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    as everyone knows i have a balcony any questions will be gladly answered, fire away

2. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    1. How did you come to join Gardeners Corner?
    2. Name the countries or counties you have lived in …

3. Describe the type of work you do.
    4. Describe how you first got into gardening …
    5. What would be your dream type of garden and do you think you will ever be able to achieve it?
    6. Have you any particular favourites in celebrity gardeners, flowers, shrubs and/or vegetables?
    7. Have you ever entered any of your plants into shows?
    8. If you had a garden created in your memory, what plants do you think would most adequately sum up you and your life?

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    i found gc nearly 4 years ago now on the internet.

ive lived in houston, texas for 8 years over 15 years ago now.

im a housewife now although i am a water colour artist mind havnt done any since last year must get back into it soon.

basically i got into gardening only through having my balcony

i would love to own a lovely large garden my dream would be a lovely pond and a summerhouse.

havnt any particular garden celebraties never thought about it but love to see my friends gardens and all the lovely flowers they grow and take pics.

ive never entered any flowers into shows with just having a balcony.

im my memory a lovely cottage garden flowers would be superb to have

4. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Have you previously lived in a house with a garden or always has balcony's ?

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    sam many years ago i had large homes but never had time for gardening as i worked many hours in a business and had my children. wish now i did take the time for gardening as i love it now on my balcony

6. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +705
    Glad you got here Rosa :)

Rosa what would you say are your favourite flowers?

I have always wondered this..did you plan your balcony and one day think "I am going to fill my balcony with plants" or did it gradually evolve.

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    thanks jazmine, my favourite flowers have to be clematis as they grow very well on my balcony, it just eventually filled up over the years, i love roses and hopefully find a nice climbing one with no thorns, since ive grown my cup and saucer vine and its first flowers this year i just love them also

8. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Its always the way Rosa, when you have it you havent got time/inclination to do it .... and then when you havent got it anymore you want it :hehe:

I dont think we would ever see you again if you got a garden. Just think how many hours a day you would be out there pottering around!

9. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,597
    Rosa, have you considered (or would you be interested in) seeing if there is a communal garden/waste ground in your area that might benefit from your flair and enthusiasm? I know round here there is an allotment that is run by and for mentally ill and handicapped people, and they are always shouting out for able bodied and sound minded volunteers to come and help. The garden is used to rehabilitate those with things like long term depression, and the handicapped folks use it as a means of interacting with others in a peaceful environment, instead of being brushed aside like they so often are. I'm not sure if they have anything like that in your area, but it would give you a chance to have your cottage garden, even if you'd have to share it.

Another option, if there is some wasteland near you, might be to round up the neighbours and turn it into a garden. On our street there is one such patch of ground. The neighbours were rounded up as part of the new deal project, and it was supposed to be a nice garden for everyone in the street to share in order to promote community spirit. Work did start, but sadly it seems everyone lost interest, and now it could only be called a garden if your favourite plants happen to be bindweed and ragwort.

10. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    sam quite right and iff i had a garden it certainly wouldnt stop me from being on gc i would find time.

clueless, well ive got my name on the council list for an allotment so eventually i will get my cottage garden look at top part of allotment and im going to have a summerhouse.
    we have communal gardens here the front i wouldnt put anything as they would probably get dug up and the back it was all grass till the nutty neighbour downstairs started complaining to the council after she moved in here and now its a real mess horrid black tar all over the back, i wouldnt even consider putting any flowers downstairs too many nosey neighbours downstairs at least on my balcony i made it private so will wait for my allotment

11. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Rosa, I see that you'd like to have a pond and a summerhouse, well the latter is obviously not possible where you are, but you could always have a little water feature, and with running water. With so many types on the market, you could quite easily realise this wish.:wink:

As you are a water colour artist, is there any chance that we could see some of your work at some time, via a photo of course. I'd really like to see what your subject matter is.:D

12. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    hi strawman i have a small water feature on my balcony but when i eventually get my allotment going to have a nice garden area with a summerhouse.
    my water colours are in members hobbies rosas pet portraits and rosas water colours, they are further down in search will bring them up for you, to look at.

13. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    strawman brought my water colours 2 threads forward in members hobbies for you to see

14. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you very much, Rosa. Your art is really quite remarkable and it oozes all the talent that you richly deserve. It just goes to show, when joining the GC forum, I could have never known what others do besides tending their gardens, so I'm especially pleased to have seen what else you do. But then, with such a wonderful balcony, I couldn't have expected anything less than a wonderful artist.:thmb:

As for your plans with creating a wildlife area and pond on your allotment when you get it, I understand how you prefer to wait until then. There, I'm looking forward to seeing the results all ready...:hehe:

15. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    arghhh thanks strawman for your lovely comments of my art work your right you just never know what other members do.
    cant wait to get my allotment, all my things ive bought so far for my allotment ive put away so all i need to get is the summerhouse and plants and all the veg. thanks once more