Ask stephenprudence

Discussion in 'Gardeners Corner Question Time' started by stephenprudence, Mar 25, 2013.

1. stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
    Ratings:
    +2,368
    1. How did you come to join Gardeners Corner?
    Well, I was looking for an answer to a specific question on succulents I think, and I was searching google, and though hey I'll just join this and ask.. well it was very welcoming so I decided to stay!

2. Name the countries or counties you have lived in?
    ENGLAND AND WALES!

3. Describe the type of work you do.
    I work on the meat and dairy aisle in Tesco :(

4. Describe how you first got into gardening?

My dad came home with a seedling, we didn't know what it was.. well it grew and grew and became a palm tree.. before that I had no interest in gardening, it was the idea that I could grow palm trees here that amazed me, after thinking it would be impossible!

5. What would be your dream type of garden and do you think you will ever be able to achieve it?

A comtemporary exotic garden, like a courtyard garden but full of exotic stuff!

6. Have you any particular favourites in celebrity gardeners, flowers, shrubs and/or vegetables?

Well I have met Alan Titchmarsh, but I'd say Monty Don has a great enthusiasm, I like Monty Don. Flowers; Lampranthus, shrubs/trees; Callistemon/Nerium!

7. Have you ever entered any of your plants into shows?

Nope!

8. If you had a garden created in your memory, what plants do you think would most adequately sum up you and your life?

Probably hardy succulents, they weather everything, and even through the worst they keep going, never give up!

• Like Like x 12
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      You've met Alan? Hope you had a go at him for abandoning his Gardening Forum:snork:

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +49,916
        I think Stephen that perhaps you MAY have to re-think succulents in your area due to your recent weather crisis.

If this is the case, what will you consider as an alternative?

• stephenprudence

Ratings:
        +2,368
        Well there are many succulents that are doing well here, Crassula sarcocaulis, Echeveria glauca, Sedums, Delosperma, etc, in general it's the succulents that are no hardier than -10C that tend to bite the dust, but certainly the recent weather hasn't had a huge impact yet. Succulents are often build for extremes, usually dry, but some can take otherwise. If the worst case scenario came, I'd probably go for Yuccas, similar but of course some are much hardier, and still share the same attributes as some hardy succulents. Yuccas is probably the one plant which is underused in my garden somewhat.

• stephenprudence

Ratings:
        +2,368
        Zigs, if i can say something about Alan, he is a genuinely nice person for sure, but he seems more interested in the monetry gain of gardening; time is money, so he's a little on that side now I think... but when you're making alot of money, of course it is the way.

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,998
        Don`t give up yet on this , I`ve discovered few more hardy cactus and most important the mistake i made . last year I had an opuntia outdoor and survived fine , i was really happy , the same opuntia this year have turned into mesh , due of the extreme water . mistake are making us better :blue thumb:

• stephenprudence

Ratings:
        +2,368
        Agreed Sal, and that's my experience too, last year they did well, but this year they haven't fared as well, but we know the reason for this... this winter though not extreme for cold, was, combined with wet, the toughest year for succulents yet.. even december 2010 was dry, and suited relatively hardy succulents..

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        I'm sure he is, love watching his programs.

I'd noticed that the £ signs have grabbed him too. GC offered to help when his forums were under attack, but he wasn't interested though.

Don't worry, I won't abandon GC when I get rich & famous:biggrin:

• stephenprudence

Ratings:
        +2,368
        Nice to hear Zigs! it would be an honour to shake your hand sir :biggrin:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        I'd better wash the mouse wee off then:biggrin:

And yours too my friend, are you coming to Shineyland in May?

• stephenprudence

Ratings:
        +2,368
        :snork: pray tell, what is shineyland.. Ive heard of it, but I'm still unfamilar!