Asparagus and Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by mumandason, Mar 19, 2009.

1. mumandason

mumandason Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I grow about 50 tomato plants in an unheated glasshouse in SW Scotland. We have huge blight problems and I am always after preventive measures. Someone told me the other day they have heard that asparagus is a good companion plant for toms...anyone ever hear of this? If it is truism, I am going to establish some small areas. Cheers

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
  3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,984
    50 tomato plants is production on a commercial scale! Why so many and what sort of spacing have you got?

I only grow 8 or 9 plants in an 8ft X 8ft greenhouse - anymore than that and I get all sorts of fungal problems.

Last year I got blight on my toms in the greenhouse for the first time in over 30 years of growing - so it was a very bad year for it. I minimised the infection with Bordeaux spray. If you always have trouble then you could check on the Blight Watch site http://www.blightwatch.co.uk/content/bw-Home.asp - I know thats for spuds but as you know its the same fungius on pots that infect toms. When BlightWatch detects the Smith Period it gives recommendations for preventative spraying - you could use Bordeaux mix.

Blight is encouraged by humid conditions so make sure your ventilation is good, also ensure any old diseased plant material is burnt.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,984
    Further to the above, I spotted on another thread you are growing cucumbers. You know that cucs and toms are difficult to accomodate in the same greenhouse? Cucs like it nice and humid - toms don't. You could seperate the growing areas with bubble wrap - the you can keep the humidity down in the tom section more easily.

5. mumandason

mumandason Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I grow the cucs in a different glasshouse from the tomatoes. The reason I grow so many is because I live in a community and we have a large Victorian walled garden/small holding. I look after the glasshouses and give them (tomatoes) as much space as I can. The person who grew before me grew 60 and I thought they were squished, so I reduced the number and have been having better results, less blight. My tomato growing has improved over the years mainly because I finally accepted they are high(er) maintenance plants than I wanted to believe. So I gave into them and surprise, surprise, they are loads better. I am keen to learn methods and tricks for continued improvements.

6. Bazherts

Bazherts Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh to have a walled garden.............wow......is it just me? Its like a dream.

Baz