asparagus

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by captain kev, May 10, 2007.

1. captain kev

captain kev Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Last spring I planted a row of 10 2 year old crowns as per the instructions in "the vegetable and herb expert". they grew and I waited until autumn when the ferns had died back then cut them back below the ridged soil. this year each appears to have produced one very strong spear which of course I shall leave as i did last year. should I have expected more spears and anybody got any further advice. unfortunately font of all knowledge, grandfather no longer around to help

2. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think I said previously in a different string that I grew from seed my own crowns. Unfortunately they only lasted a few years the died off on me! Perhaps I am the wrong one to give advice!
    Anyway as they are already two years old I would leave another year to make it three. As I remember the spears did come up in ones and twos. Think I started to harvest in the second year though. Probably too early. [​IMG]