Aspidistra leaf browning

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Royster, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Royster

Royster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello to all!
    My friend has a fantastic Aspidistra, currently spending its time (not my friend - the Aspidistra) outdoors enjoying the warmth of our interesting summer. However, its developing yellow edges to many of the leaves and some leaves are very brown and decript (deadish) in the centre where they are now breaking. The plant must be at least 20 years old and otherwise really healthy.
    Any thoughts or advice about the problem here please?
    Kind regards
    Roy

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Sounds a bit like a water problem, either too much or too little. Have you got a photo, as that would help?

3. Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have an ancient Aspidistra...... it must be 60 years old !!!! every so often some leaves will go brown and brittle ...I cut them off ...in fact one year it looked so fed up I cut the whole lot off .....it all came back with a vengeance .... I'm not sure that you will want to be THAT ruthless :D but they are very difficult to kill off; hence their name 'the cast iron plant' in fact they thrive on neglect !! :cool: M-L

[ 03. September 2006, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Mona Lisa ]

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,147
    I agree with M-L. Years ago I had one that was many years old ... not quite 50! ... and I just trimmed it back and sometimes ruthlessly as well and, as M-L says, it comes back with a vengeance. What I remember is they preferred to be a bit on the drier rather than wetter side! [​IMG]

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] I agree with Fran, I would say an over-watering problem.. They don't like to stand in water, which it may have done outside.. That usually causes yellowing like you describe.. [​IMG]

6. Royster

Royster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks ladies and gents for sharing your knowledge!

Kind regards
    Roy

7. Royster

Royster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Can you believe... I found out that this particular Aspidistra I originally asked about is over 120 years old!!!
    I do have to wonder what my friend is doing leaving it outside right now as the weather is kinda like just a bit wet. I might have to nick it! :D

Royster

8. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    They don't like too much light either. I have some huge, ancient aspidistras and I always put them outside during the summer. They come inside for the winter and then I make sure they are in shade and kept dry. One year, the largest flowered!! Very strange papery flowers came up from beneath the soil.

9. Royster

Royster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hornbeam, Sir, if they don't like too much light why put them outside during summer? Same thing my friend has done.

Any idea just how old these plants can become?

Cheers
    Roy

10. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I put them outside, but in the shade. That way they get fresh air, rain and all the winter dust blown away. Originally from China and members of the lily family, but I don't know how old they can be in cultivation. Probably quite long lived and they can survive central heating, gas fumes and the cold houses of Victorian times.

Mine tend to go a bit yellow and brown with split leaves during the summer, but soon recover when brought inside for the winter. My two largest ones were from my mother-in-law's house. They were kept in a dark room and not watered all winter - that was when one flowered.

11. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Here is a quick shot of my monsters. Apologies for photo quality but its dark and windy. Might try for a better photo tomorrow.

[​IMG]

12. Royster

Royster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hornbeam, do you cut the browning leaves off?
    Is the plant on the right of the photo the one with the flower or is that something else behind?

Cheers
    Roy

13. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes - I cut the brown leaves off when they die. No - that flower is nothing to do with the aspidistra. If it ever flowers again, I will take a photo. The flowers were quite small and at soil level. You can see a photo if you click here:
    http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/diarysept02.html

14. Royster

Royster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thoroughly interesting flower it has too!
    That's a fantastic collection of pics and info in your diary Hornbeam!! I'll be delving into this over the coming months if that's ok by you?

Have a fine day, Sir!

Kind regards
    Roy

15. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Its not my diary, Royster, but enjoy it anyway [​IMG]