Assembling a second hand polytunnel

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Clueless 1 v2, May 31, 2023.

1. Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,769
    Hi all,

When my dad gave up his allotment, he gave me the polytunnel. It's apparently 10ft long.

Trouble is, I can't figure out how it goes back together. All the bars are different lengths.

Does anyone have any tips to help me figure it out?

Or is it even worth bothering. It was already a few years old when we disassembled it and some of the bars are rusty, and there's already a few small tears in the cover. Part of me is thinking I could give up a whole day doing a jigsaw puzzle, or I could just buy a cheap greenhouse, albeit smaller.

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,334
    If it's the classic curved structure, you lose some useful space at the sides compared to a greenhouse. The ventilation (or lack of) can also be 'interesting' in summer :biggrin: On balance, I'd sell it on and get a greenhouse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,769
      Too many factors conspiring against us, we've give it up.

First factor was the puzzle of what goes where. So we came up with a plan. We stretched out the cover, figure the position of the ties would give us some clues and we could assemble different arrangements of poles to match the length as another clue.

Then came the second and third factors. It is not 3 metres as my dad said, it is almost 4 metres. This means that while it would technically fit in the space I've prepared for it, it's a tight fit, and I'd have to lose a few more excess pounds to be able to slide myself between it and the shed. And the third factor conspiring against us is the cover itself is past it's best. I knew it had a couple of small tears in it already, but I didn't realise it had a six inch hole in it plus multiple smaller tears.

Oh and to my son's horror, there were not one but two massive spiders on it.

So we're giving up, and I'll buy a cheap greenhouse.

• Like Like x 1