Astelia chathamica

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by sal73, Jan 8, 2012.

1. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Hi All , I`ve recently bough 2 nice pots and 3 Astelia , the only other matching pot was an anfora and it`s not really suitable for astelia , as it only 6 inchs hole.
    Any Idea of what plant would be nice with astelia and suitable for the anfora?
    [​IMG]

2. scillonian

scillonian Gardener

Ratings:
    +238
    Hi Sal

The Astelia is a lovely plant and the pots are very beautiful, but you will soon be faced with a problem here. In a year or so's time the Astelia will be pot bound, but you won't be able to get them out of the pot as the neck gets narrower at the top. To repot them on you will have to break the pots. I would plant these pots up with something that can be removed more easily when it comes to it. Heucheras or Heucherellas seem to be the in plant of the moment.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      After smashing some very nice glazed pots I never buy anything that tapers the wrong way anymore.

They look nice but are impractical.

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
      I`m really new with astelia , as from £25 they went down to £4.99 each , so I both 3 of them , but as I was reading about them and apparently they reach 5 feets in high as much as apparently they are not really frost hardy , that why I was thinking of potting them .....the pot where on sale as well I got 3 plus a broken one for £40 ......the astelia are just sitting in the pot as i though about that myself ...........Ideally I`m looking for some slow grower plant that will look good in the pot/pitcher ....please any help.

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      Never grown Astelia Sal, but been tempted.

I think they like it moister than the appearance suggests, from NZ I believe.
      From what I have heard they can take a bit of frost, so a sheltered part of the garden could be OK.

What about Succulents that trail, for the pots, along the lines of Carpobrotus, or Delosperma, easily produced from cutting once the start to look worn out.

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
      that is a good idea,,,I was even thinking of Sedum morganianum
      or ferns , got even a nice japanese bird nest fern , as fern don`t produce deep root.
      the only problem now is the astelia , apparently can only take -6 , I have to admit the they look better then in the picture , suggested to grow on sunny place...maybe for the colour.

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      Is that Burros tail?
      If so, I'd say no, as it looks better the longer it trails, and mine is now at least three ft.
      Ferns could be good if you water well in summer.

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
      You are right the burrito get too longer ....as much as the fern need lots of water as well , that why I was thinking of the bird nest fern....seen them growing in full sun. but only have one ....
      Really need some idea...they are really nice pot and would love to plant something nice.....